• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

Mortimer the Mortiser is squeaky

Using Delta 14-651 Mortiser with 1/2" bit on 4x4 douglas fir, driving down 1/2" I am hearing a lot of squeaking. Is that normal? Should the bit be oiled? Didn't see anything in manual on it... if so what sort of oil and how to apply?

Thanks!
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • Ken Weaver
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Clemson, SC, USA
    • Rigid TS3650

I get squeaking sporadically and best I can tell its from chips not clearing the bit inside the hollow chisel. Smaller "bites" seems to reduce it considerably.
    Ken Weaver
    Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by davidtu
      Using Delta 14-651 Mortiser with 1/2" bit on 4x4 douglas fir, driving down 1/2" I am hearing a lot of squeaking. Is that normal? Should the bit be oiled? Didn't see anything in manual on it... if so what sort of oil and how to apply?

Thanks!
      You might make sure the auger bit is not bottomed out against the chisel - usually the technique is to set the chisel 1/16th or 1/32nd from the top,
      set the auger up tight to the chisel and clamp the chuck, then raise the chisel that last 1/16th or 1/32 to the top to provide clearance. Don't you love pushing the sharp (OUCH!) end of the auger and chisel up?

after having done that any squeaking is friction from the side of the auger against the inside of the chisel - I've applied some oil - not sure if that's recommended.

Mine's a jet but I had the same problem with Delta DP mortising adapter.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Hintz
        • Feb 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.

You can get all sorts of odd noises from a mortiser if the bit/chisel clearance isn't right. they are designed to have a gap between them that allows the chips to ride up thei bit inssde the chisel.
        See the link below for an easy way to set that clearance consistently.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/setupmort.html
        Tom Hintz
        NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• davidtu
          • Apr 2006
          • Seattle, WA
          • BT3100

I made some adjustments to the chisel/bit clearance before my original post, I think that was causing a lot of the initial problem... but when I was still hearing squeaks I thought I'd ask.

I'll double check how I'm setting it up... thanks for the link, read the article, very good stuff there... plus also the one of mortise and tenon joints, which was also of use.

Assuming I have it adjusted correctly, I'll keep a look out for chips jammed between the two.

Thanks to you all!
          Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

Working...