• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ishmel
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2005
    • St. Cloud, MN.

Jointer/Planer questions

Hello Everyone, I just bought a 1990's Jet 6inch jointer (jj-6csx) and a craftsman 12 1/2 (23378) planer for $250. The jointer is missing the cutter guard but everything else seems to be where it should be with these. My first question is does anyone here use these models? If so any common complaints or maintance issues I should be aware of? Having never owned either tool before, are there any standard "tune-up" proceedures? I think i got a good deal, but I'm not sure how much spending on parts etc. will kill it. Any advice/suggestions/ would be greatly appreciated.

d
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Don't have either one but I'm a big fan of cutter and blade guards and would encourage you to fix that deficiency.

Comment

• Ishmel
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2005
      • St. Cloud, MN.

Thanks. I ordered a cutter guard today. It kills me to wait until it comes to get started, but I'm a fan of my fingers, so......

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Ishmel
        Hello Everyone, I just bought a 1990's Jet 6inch jointer (jj-6csx) and a craftsman 12 1/2 (23378) planer for $250. The jointer is missing the cutter guard but everything else seems to be where it should be with these. My first question is does anyone here use these models? If so any common complaints or maintance issues I should be aware of? Having never owned either tool before, are there any standard "tune-up" proceedures? I think i got a good deal, but I'm not sure how much spending on parts etc. will kill it. Any advice/suggestions/ would be greatly appreciated.

d
        Sounds like a good deal if its 250 for both. The Jet joiner is solid, not familiar with the planer. Hope its not one of those craftsman models that elevated the bed instead of lowering the cutter to increase the cut depth. Seems like in the 90's they had one that did that and I'm sure it would have been **** to use it with a set of roller stands (having to change the stand height every cut) or a special set of extension feed tables.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ishmel
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2005
          • St. Cloud, MN.

It was 250 for the pair. I think the jointer is the better buy, but I need both so..... The planer looks like the current model they have, the cutterhead drops to the bed. There's a crank on the top of the unit. I have to vent a little though. I called both WMH(jet maker) and Sears and the guy at WMH emailed the manual to me while I was on the phone. Sears person didn't even know what I had, just asked me a bunch of questions then wanted my credit cards so she could charge me $16 to send out a manual. My patience is very thin with sears lately.

Now... mobile bases and knives.......

Comment

• uglystick
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Garland, TX, USA
            • Ridgid R4511 Granite top

Hi Ishmel,

I don't own this jointer, but I've read some good reviews. AWW listed it as an Editor's choice in a review years ago (link).

Also, there are 42 customer reviews on Amazon which may be helpful for things to watch out for.
            One recurring comment is about vibration from the belt and replacing it with link belt instead. This seems to be common complaint/solution with many jointers, though, not just this Jet.

Enjoy your purchases!
            -Kendall

Comment

Working...