anybody got their 40-inch bessey K clamps from amazon?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

anybody got their 40-inch bessey K clamps from amazon?

I just received the two woodworking clamps i purchased from Amazon when they had the $20-and change sale.

The two bessey 40" K-clamps came as separate items. Each was in a long slim opaque plastic bag and was folded over at the end and taped and also rolled over and taped around the side. It looked a lot like a shotgun, about the same length and the red clamps looking like a shoulder rest at one end and tapering to a barrel at the other end.

The first bag both had several holes from wear and tear and handling and
    the corners were worn thru showing the red of the clamp ends quite clearly.

The second bag had more layers of plastic, and no red showing inthe corners.

I was halfway expecting some major cosmetic damage but there doesn't appear to be any, fortunately, perhaps a testament to the Bessey product.
    In fact, heavy as they are and with no padding whatsoever they may have inflicted damage to other items in the UPS truck. I'm sure thrown or tossed the pointy end would have punctured lesser cardboard packaging.

so, how did yours come?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-23-2006, 08:02 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

Not 40" but I got my 50" ordered and received last week when they were on sale. I was a little worried given the recent complaints about Amazon shipping on the Besseys. However, all 4 of mine came by UPS on the same truck all packaged in triangular tubes. No damage that I can see. I'm happy and wouldn't hesitate a minute to order more if they go on sale again.
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• jnesmith
      • Jan 2003
      • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I wish I knew. Mine are scheduled for delivery 5/30-6/01. I ordered 2. I just noticed they are shipping seperately.
      John

Comment

• onedash
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Maryland
        • Craftsman 22124

Mine just changed from one shipment to two.

Items shipping soon:
        Delivery estimate: May 26, 2006 - May 30, 2006
        • 1 of: Bessey K3.540 40" Max Opening K-Body Clamp
        Items shipping soon:
        Delivery estimate: May 30, 2006 - June 5, 2006
        • 1 of: Bessey K3.540 40" Max Opening K-Body Clamp
        YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I received my six 50" K-Bodys last week. The only 40" I've bought from amazon.com were part of the 2440 cabinet door sets, which ship in the factory packaging (or at least mine did).

Four of my 50" clamps came via FedEx Ground, and the other two via UPS Ground. Five of the six were individually packaged in boxes measuring approximately 8" x 24" x 48", with the lone clamp each contained angled within the box to fit, sort of, in the 48" dimension. Yes, you read that right: I got five of these huge boxes, one clamp per each. All six would have fit in a single box so I don't know why they felt compelled to waste so much cardboard. Instead, they filled up the extra space in the boxes with several miles of that inflated-plastic-pillow stuff.

The sixth clamp came sandwiched between two light pieces of cardboard that had been stuck together with something like rubber cement.

Two or three of the boxed clamps had the corner partially torn out of the box by the relatively sharp end of the clamp's bar. I was a little worried when I saw that, but when I opened them all up and inspected them, all six were in first-rate condition.

Oh, almost forgot: I also used the code to get the free 24" K-Body. That one came a few days earlier, in a box big enough to hold a dozen such clamps.

I'm just glad the shipping was on their dime, and not mine.
          Larry

Comment

• onedash
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Maryland
            • Craftsman 22124

Larry. I think with all those clamps you can take away the not exactly Norm under your name.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LarryG
              I received my six 50" K-Bodys last week. The only 40" I've bought from amazon.com were part of the 2440 cabinet door sets, which ship in the factory packaging (or at least mine did).

Four of my 50" clamps came via FedEx Ground, and the other two via UPS Ground. Five of the six were individually packaged in boxes measuring approximately 8" x 24" x 48", with the lone clamp each contained angled within the box to fit, sort of, in the 48" dimension. Yes, you read that right: I got five of these huge boxes, one clamp per each. All six would have fit in a single box so I don't know why they felt compelled to waste so much cardboard. Instead, they filled up the extra space in the boxes with several miles of that inflated-plastic-pillow stuff.

The sixth clamp came sandwiched between two light pieces of cardboard that had been stuck together with something like rubber cement.

Two or three of the boxed clamps had the corner partially torn out of the box by the relatively sharp end of the clamp's bar. I was a little worried when I saw that, but when I opened them all up and inspected them, all six were in first-rate condition.

Oh, almost forgot: I also used the code to get the free 24" K-Body. That one came a few days earlier, in a box big enough to hold a dozen such clamps.

I'm just glad the shipping was on their dime, and not mine.
              I've had many of the same issues as well. Unless they are in a cabinet door kit they always ship seperately. The 24" ALWAYS come in that huge box. I have had 50's come the large box you describe, but they cut a hole in the bottom an stuck 10" of the clamp out of the bottom! Most of the 50s have come in the triangular, hand made boxes. Prior to my recent run of 24s and 50s', oh say about 6 months ago or so, all the clamps used to come in heavy duty tubes with plastic caps on the end. Those were much, much nicer and more secure. I try to convince myself that the ship these poorly packaged items to me in such bad shape because they know they are only going 10 miles to get to my house. There is no way they could make it cross country.

Comment

• mpauly
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • NJ

Got all 4 of mine plus the clamp kit today (5 seperate shipments from 3 different locations) and everything was well packed. Each clamp came in its own triangular cardboard container that (while over sized) seemed to be custom made. Everything was in great condition.

Comment

• ryan.s
                  • Feb 2006
                  • So Cal
                  • Ridgid TS3650

Just got my 4 40" clamps plus 2 50" replacements for a previous order. I'm travelling this week so it'll be a couple of days before I can check the condition of the clamps. I'm a bit weary based on the previous experiences I've had. I hope they were shipped in the triangular boxes this time.

Comment

• davidtu
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Seattle, WA
                    • BT3100

My two came several days ago.
                    Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• onedash
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Maryland
                      • Craftsman 22124

Mine were sitting outside the door last night when I got home. Each was in its own triangle shaped box. Clamps were in great shape.
                      From initial comparisons I think the Jorgensens have more substantial heads on them. THe Besseys bars have the ticks while the jorgensens have smooth bars. and the jorgensens have a bigger wood handle compared to besseys smaller plastic handles. For equal prices I think I would choose the jorgensen. But at these prices I will order more besseys.

Comment

Working...