• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Question about Cen-tech (harbor-freight) indicators

I have a Cen-tech indicator I purchased from Harbor Freight. It is a digital unit, and I'm very pleased with it.

The tip is removable, and I would like to use a flat contact point. But I don't know if I need a metric (2.5, .45 seems common) or US (4-48UNF seems common) size. Maybe I need another size.

I went to the hardware store thinking I could just get a Phillips or Torque flat-head screw, but they didn't have anything that would thread into it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Phil
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cgallery
    I have a Cen-tech indicator I purchased from Harbor Freight. It is a digital unit, and I'm very pleased with it.

The tip is removable, and I would like to use a flat contact point. But I don't know if I need a metric (2.5, .45 seems common) or US (4-48UNF seems common) size. Maybe I need another size.

I went to the hardware store thinking I could just get a Phillips or Torque flat-head screw, but they didn't have anything that would thread into it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Phil
    They're all 4-48UNF. Its a hard size to find. Look in on-line catalogs from
    www.use-enco.com, www.msdirect.com or similar industrial suppliers and they have individual tips and tip kits as accessories (adjoining pages) from the dial gages. Could not find anything with that thread at local hardware stores.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Thanks Loring! I found a 4-48 at McMaster. Their catalog also had alternative backs:

Flat and lug backs shown. Universal and magnetic backs are also available.
      To Order: Please specify back type, AGD Group No., and one of the following part numbers: For Starrett, 20625A711 ; for CDI (Chicago Dial), 20625A811 (universal and magnetic backs not offered); and for Mitutoyo, 20625A911 (universal back not offered).
      Do you know if any of these will fit the Cen-Tech? The current back has a lug on it and I'd sorta like a flat back for a certain application I have.

When I select the Starrett part on their interactive page, it asks whether I want flat, magnetic, or lug, and for a number (1-4). I assume the number is a size, but I don't know if it represents inches or a series or ?

Thanks!
      Phil

Comment

Working...