• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

What Router Brand(s) Do You Own?

Routers are one of the most talked about tools here on BT3Central. Woodworking newbies frequently ask what to buy for a first router. The more experienced among us are apt to own two or three ... or even six or seven.

So, what brand(s) of router do you own? Please check all that apply, even if some of them are routers you don't use often, or at all. (Unfortunately there's no way to indicate if you own more than one of the same brand, so if you wish you can post a reply mentioning that fact, and/or the model numbers.)

This is the first in a series of router polls I have planned for the coming weeks. Your participation is appreciated!
    Black & Decker
    4.49%
    Bosch
    14.42%
    Craftsman
    16.29%
    DeWalt
    6.18%
    Freud
    2.62%
    Hitachi
    10.86%
    Makita
    2.81%
    Milwaukee
    1.50%
    Porter-Cable
    17.04%
    Ryobi
    13.86%
    Skil
    3.56%
    Other
    6.37%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by LarryG; 05-05-2006, 11:21 AM.
    Larry
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I almost didn't admit to the Skil router. But I was young and dumb (in woodworking skills) and didn't know any better.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• gmack5
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

I have a total of 7 Routers, most of them are Porter-Cable types, including their Router Table (Talk about useless!), a Plunge type, Fixed Base and a "D" handle type.
      Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
      Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
      George

Comment

• Tequila
        • Aug 2004
        • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Originally posted by sacherjj
        I almost didn't admit to the Skil router. But I was young and dumb (in woodworking skills) and didn't know any better.
        I felt the same way about the Craftsman router I inherited. But I figured that the poll asked brands I own not brands I use.
        -Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

its misleading - i checked several routers I don't use on a daily basis.
          Might be more informative to have another poll which is what router do you go to when you have good work to do?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Loring, the poll is not misleading if the intent is to find out what brands of routers people own ... which is exactly what I'm trying to find out.

I structured the poll this way because I intend to do a series of polls, with each building on the ones before it, in an attempt to analyze what routers people own, and why. I'm thinking that a careful analysis of the data might turn up some interesting patterns, possibly ones worthy of a router article or FAQ. For example, as this is written it's still early in the going but a quick look at the results shows that roughly a third of the respondents who own a Craftsman or a Ryobi (both being budget brands, for the most part) also own a more expensive router such as Bosch or Porter-Cable. What does this suggest? That an initial purchase of a budget brand was dissatisfying? That the budget router was purchased second, as a backup or for some specific task? We don't yet know. Hence the reason for starting this exercise with the broad question, What brands of routers do you own?

I've gone back and edited my original post to more clearly reflect my intent.
            Larry

Comment

• Tundra_Man
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

I added what I own (Craftsman and a Skil) not necessarily what I recommend.
              Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• Luckbox
                Established Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Holly Springs, NC

Have a skil now but I am upgrading very soon to Bosch. The skil was a mistake, but it has done what I want so far. Just hasn't done it well.
                I love lamp.

Comment

• vaking
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

Larry,
                  I checked Hitachi and Bosch, in reality I own 2 Hitachi routers (M12V and KM12SC) and my trim router is a rotozip (which is Bosch).
                  Alex V

Comment

• Russianwolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                    • One of them there Toy saws

I have an inherited Craftman that I use for quick and dirty jobs.

I have a Ryobi that came with the router table, the 3 base kit, and a speedsaw. So 3 if you count motors and 5 if you count bases.
                    Mike
                    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

4 routers to date: (may have to move one out this summer)

1st was a small $40 Craftsman...loaded with features and won't quit.
                      2nd was a Freud FT2000 for table use.
                      3rd was a Milwaukee 5615 for handuse.
                      4th was a Freud FT1700 for table use, and boy do I love changing bits from above the table!
                      Last edited by Knottscott; 05-05-2006, 03:54 PM.
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

I think I should get the prize for the stupidest router purchase. I have a J. C. Penney's router. It has bronze bushings and squeels louder than any other tool I have every used. I have used it within the last 5 years - to cut drywall with a spiral bit. My second stupid router purchase was a traditional Sears Craftsman which is semi-retired because it's spit shaft collet slips whenever it has significant load on it.

The routers I use are two PC 690s and an old Ryobi R-500. The plunge mechanism on the Ryobi started sticking so the motor only is in a home-made lift in my router table. It is 13.3A so while not quite the biggest out there it has pretty decent power and works fine. The PCs and their 4 bases take care of my hand-held needs. Someday I will get a laminate trimmer.

Jim

Comment

• bigsteel15
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Edmonton, AB
                          • Ryobi BT3100

#1 - First purchase was a Canadian Tire special plunge router with table kit. Not sure who makes them, but I think it is B&D or Dewalt cheapy. This is a 1/4" only model and the table is a POS. This was before I had a garage. Also have their rotary tool with multiple base options. Drywall and power carving for this unit.

#2 - Ryobi fixed base to mount under accessory table...It will stay there, probably with my LV t-slot bit installed permanently.

#3 - Triton 3-1/4 HP will be in my table when it's done.

#4 - Bosch Colt trimmer...LOVE IT!!.

#5 - Bosch 1617VS combo kit

#6 - Triton 2-1/4 HP....FUTURE PURCHASE....MAYBE AT BONUS TIME IN OCTOBER
                          Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                          Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Tarheel
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • N. Carolina

Two Dewalt's. DW618 (3B - fixed, plunge and D-handle). Bought the smaller DW616 and it now lives in my RT. Great router by the way!!!! Craftsman was retired when I just about sent a bit airborne! Collet was shot!

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by gmack5
                              I have a total of 7 Routers, most of them are Porter-Cable types, including their Router Table (Talk about useless!), a Plunge type, Fixed Base and a "D" handle type.
                              7 routers wow, maybe you could donate some to those of us that only have one
                              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                              techzibits.com

Comment

Working...