X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wassaw998
    • Jul 2004
    • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Delta Hollow Chisel Mortiser set up help

I just got the Delta Hollow Chisel Mortiser and set it up last night (model # 14-651). I have a few questions:

1) It comes with an "extension block" / height attachment to add height to the unit. If I install that, it seems to me there is then no way to use the "rack and pinion" fence adjustment knob as the gears no longer engage the rack, is that correct ?

2) The unit has a "pneumatic lifter" / Gas-filled head stablizer - is it supposed to lift the head back up from the down position ? Seems to me it does nothing...

3) Setting of bits - I set up the 5/16 chisel and drilled a few mortises into some red oak, I had to really use a lot of force on the handle to get the square hole to drill out. Seemed to be way too much (and no, I am not a 90 lb weakling!)...I've read a lot on gaping the drill bit and all, maybe the gap was not enough ? Or, maybe these units require a lot of force ?

Thanks.
    Chris
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

The gas lifter mostly counterbalances the head. If it weren't for the lifter you would have to hold the head up.

It does take a lot of force to cut the square hole because the drill auger only cuts the center round hole, the square chisel is totally driven by your hand power and not the drill motor in any way.

All hollow chisel mortisers are like that.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tequila
      • Aug 2004
      • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

And yes - if you use the riser block you cannot use the rack and pinion system. It says that in the manual.
      -Joe

Comment

• wassaw998
        • Jul 2004
        • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Joe, I still can't find that in the manual, what page it that on?
        Chris

Comment

Working...