• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

A nice surprise;

Sometimes it is really nice to get a quality surprise! I want to try my hand at some carving. I have done some power carving and some with bench chisels but I really wanted to try some actual carving tools. Well if you have ever shopped for this kind of tool you will find they are really expensive. On the other side you have the real junk like Harbor Freight carries in this style tool. The ones I have looked at there are very poorly finished and milled. Well about two months ago while placing an order with Grizzly I noticed that they were carrying a new carving set. Well they looked pretty good and for $29.95 it was worth a shot. So with that I ordered them and then they became back ordered! So, I had almost forgot about them until they arrived today via UPS. Well I have to tell you that so far they are a real nice surprise. They are advertised hardened to Rockwell 59C and they are nice and thick steel that is nicely polished. The handles are finished well and comfortable. Of course I do need to sharpen them before I can use them but so far I am impressed with them. They will be a good learning tool for sharpening these types of tools and also will give a chance at carving so I think this was a good purchase.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7756

Just thought I would share some thoughts on these.
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Ken,

Sounds good to me. I just ordered a set. The picture looks great.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• gmack5
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Looks Good!

I just went to the Grizzly site and looked at the Carving Set..........nice looking set of tools.

George,
      I'll be waiting to see a review by you of how well they work.
      Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
      Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
      George

Comment

• DUD
        Royal Jester
        • Dec 2002
        • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I bought my last set at the Knife Store in Sevierville, TN. They are nice, I have several kinds, love them all, just don't use them as much as I would like to. Bill
        5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• scmhogg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

Ken,

My set arrived today. They are really nice right out of the box. They have more heft than I expected for carving tools. I tried several of them on both Fir and Cherry, with no honing. They all made nice shavings with little or no tearing. They are a lot sharper than the last Stanley chisel I bought.

And, at $29.95 plus $9.25 shipping [that only took 6 days] they cost about $3.25 each. [OK Loring, it's really $3.2666666667]

Thanks for the tip.

Steve
          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• kwgeorge
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Alvin, TX, USA.

I am glad you like them also Steve. I really like mine and for just experimenting with carving I sure thought they were quite the deal when I got them. I did take some time and hone several of them and they cut wonderful. The thing I am looking forward to seeing is how long they hold an edge. According to my research the tools will only require honing until the edges become deformed.

Comment

• mikeg
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2006
              • Milton, VT
              • BT3100

Hey guys, don't forget to get yourself a carving glove and a thumb guard!!! DAMHIK

A great place to get a beginners set is www.littleshavers.com. It includes a set of six palm tools, a glove, thumb guard, carving knife, honing compound and strop, and a case to store it in for $39.95. And another plus is that the tools come SHARP! With that set, you would be off to a great start. I wish I'd known about it when I got started.

mikeg

Comment

Working...