• Show
Clear All
  • drunkcat
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Elgin IL
    • BTK

36-255L CMS owners

I recently picked one of these up form amazon. One of the miter stops seems to be off. The right 45 degree miter stop sets the miter just to the right of the 45 degree mark (~45.5). The rest of the stops appear to be dead on. I emailed amazon asking them what to do (thinking they would say take it up with Delta) and recieved an email saying your replacement will be there in 2 days! I was suprised given I didnt even ask for a replacement yet.

Does anyone know if the miter stops are adjustable? Has anyone had the same problem (I noticed one review on amazon that stated they were off).

Thanks!

Scott
  • lkazista
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Yes they are adjustable, from below the saw. I have never had to adjust mine, and I have certainly banged mine around a bunch. Great saw, you will love it. I just killed my laser after about 2 years, and 2 blades. The manual will walk you through the adjustment better than I can.

The manual is also available on the delta site as a PDF file.

Lee

Comment

• sacherjj
      Not Your Average Joe
      • Dec 2005
      • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Darn, I'm seeing the same thing. My left 45 is dead on and my right is a little less than a degree off. The 45 degree mark is right on, but the notch is off. It looks like these are all on the same piece of steel. That would mean adjusting the right 45 would throw all the others off. If I lock in the 45 on the right side mark, the cut is dead on. But that is hard with the stop trying to pull it out. I'm thinking about a little work with a file to allow the stop to let it come over to the real mark. Hmmm... This is the first thing I don't like about this saw.
      Joe Sacher

Comment

• lkazista
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Are they both *NEW*

Here is a dumb theory, maybe the plate is upside down, take a look. I had that happen with a piece of equipment for work. One side was dead on, and the other was slightly out, wound up a new guy at the machine shop had inverted the piece accidently. It was just enough of a difference to cause the issue.

Lee

Comment

• sacherjj
          Not Your Average Joe
          • Dec 2005
          • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I'll have to look at that. Although the stops have an angle to them, so I'm not sure if they would work the other way. It seems like all stops but the right 45 are dead on. I would expect a progressive error if the plate was flipped.
          Joe Sacher

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

my question is this:
            how are you determining that the miter is off?
            Are you looking at where the saw locks in the detent and reading the scale, or are you setting the saw at the detent and making a cut?

My point is this: the detent could very well be set correctly and making a perfect 45° cut as calibrated at the factory while the scale could be off (which is not really good either).

You might do more checking as to what exactly is wrong. I know on my miter saw the whole top assembly is bolted to the base, you can adjust the angle by loosening and shifting the top. The bolt holes have some play so if its off in one direction then the angle markings on one side could be right and on the other side, off 1/2 degree. If the detents are settable then you'd have to readjust these, too.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sacherjj
              Not Your Average Joe
              • Dec 2005
              • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
              • BT3100-1

To check mine, I took a piece of 3/4" ply that was ripped to 3" or 4" wide. I set the saw on 45 and cut of the waste. Flipped the piece over and cut another 45. Both sides are nice and parallel from a BT rip. This gave me a perfect 90 angle on the left side. When I followed those tests on the right side, I get and angle that is just slightly wider than 90 degrees. This jibes with the scale showing about 45.5 degrees when the detent kicks in. When I locked the saw miter at 45 degrees without letting it fall into the stop, I get a perfect 90 angle on the right side.

Edit: I wonder if I can limit the travel on the right side to keep it just before the stop and just lock it down for those cuts. Hmm.
              Last edited by sacherjj; 05-05-2006, 12:07 PM.
              Joe Sacher

Comment

• drunkcat
                Established Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Elgin IL
                • BTK

I finally heard back from Delta and the stops are NOT adjustable (lkaz, you maybe thinking of the bevel stops?). I think the other stops are on but I dont have a way of checking. I checked the 45 with a drafting triangle. If I could move the 45 into place it would throw off the others.

My replacement saw came from amazon and the stops are dead on. I think this may be a quality control issue.

Scott

Comment

Working...