• Show
Clear All
  • Howard
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Plano, Tx.
    • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

Ryobi Bench Planer

As I was making my new cutting board, it came to me that the best solution for me to make the board perfectly level after glueing was to break down and get a planer. I looked at the Hitachi, Dewalt, Delta and Ridgid models but they were all over $300 and most over $400. too much for me. Then I went back to the BORG and saw the Ryobi 13" model for $199 and the coupon for the $35 gift card. Sold. It works like a champ! Great finish, not too heavy to move around, seems well put together. This is going to allow me save some money buying unfinished lumber. So this is half the battle. Now to figure out where to put a jointer to finish the edges!
    Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
    - Mark Twain
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Yeah, I have the AP1300. I got it for 165$, else I was looking hard at the 500$ dewalt. I just couldn't justify the price jump. So far it's worked great for me!

btw, my jointer is snuggled under my SMT.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

BTW, you need to finish not only the edge but the first flat side with the jointer.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Howard
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Plano, Tx.

Loring,
        Do you mean if I have a rough 4 sides, the first flat side should be done with a jointer rather than running it through the planer? Can you explain the theory behind this? What if the board is more than 6 inches wide? Would you run it through one way and then turn it around and run it through the other to finish both halves of the one side and then use the newly finished side as the bottom to run through the planer? I presume you are only talking about truly rough wood that doens't have any surfaced sides to it yet. Thanks for the help!
        Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Howard
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Plano, Tx.

Never mind. Did did a little research and discovered what you meant. If the board was slightly cupped, the jointer would take the cupping out whereas the planer would just give me a very smooth, but still cupped board. Oh well, better start making room in the garage somewhere! Grizzly makes a nice 6.5 inch model for $325 and with shipping it's about $390. Comes with a built in mobile base so that helps. Anyone have one of those and how do you like it?
          Last edited by Howard; 04-24-2006, 09:43 AM.
          Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

there are ways to face joint with the planer, you need to make a sled and shim the piece so that the planer rollers can't flatten the board. This will work on cupped and twisted lumber.

The jointer works much faster though. And you'll have another tool.
            Last edited by Russianwolf; 04-24-2006, 01:24 PM.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• davidtu
              • Apr 2006
              • Seattle, WA
              • BT3100

Is this a good time & place for a newbie to ask WHAT IS A JOINTER?! Thanks!
              Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• venkatbo
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Originally posted by davidtu
                Is this a good time & place for a newbie to ask WHAT IS A JOINTER?! Thanks!
                No better place than the www (wood-working-web ;-)
                Check here for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jointer

I think benchtop 6" jointers can be had for $200-$300 range

/venkat

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

in case the link gave you red x's for pictures. Go to www.grizzly.com and look around. They aren't hard to spot.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Howard
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Plano, Tx.

I am very impressed by the quality in my Grizzly GO555 Band Saw. When I'm ready to step up to a new TS, I'm going to seriously consider their Hybrid model. In the meantime, i'm only a sale away from ordering the Jointer.
                    Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

- Mark Twain

Comment

• djmst38
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006

ryobi planer

The Ryobi planer is definitely a good buy. I have had mine for about a year and I got it for $175 at a Cummins tool show. I have had no problems thus far and I have planed probably 100 bdft of cherry, 30 bdft of sassafrass, and 100 bdft of white oak through it so far. The only problem I have had to work through is when I tried to change the knives. They must have a gorilla putting the blades on at the ryobi factory. The bolts that hold them in were all frozen except for 2 of them. When I say frozen I mean it. 2 Craftsman allen wrenches were bent trying to get them out. I had to cut them all out with my dremmel. Some advice for whomever buys one of these is to take out the bolts and stick them into a wax ring or lube them with WD-40 and put them back in before using the machine heavily. I waxed the new bolts and have had no problems removing them since.

Comment

Working...