• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THyman
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Hitachi Drill press mortise attachment

I'd like to buy a mortising attachment for my new Hitachi 15" drill press (floor model). Does anyone know of one that works with this dp? Any advice would be a huge help.

Todd
    War Eagle!
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I've talked to 10 or so people who purchased mortising attachments for their drill press. ALL of them wished that they saved that money and purchased even a cheap dedicated mortising machine. I have no experience with them, but I have decided that a dedicated machine will be my eventual route as well.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• ted van halen
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006

I started a similar thread for a craftsman DP a while back:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=19764

Lot's of good advice. I'm waiting until I can buy a mortiser.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Not sure, but I'm thinking you'd probably have to remove your Laser cross hairs attachment to mount the mortiser attachment.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Just thought that I'd pass this along. Harbor Freight (mail order sales) has a mortiser on sale for $100. Take that price to a store with a 20% off, it should be $80. It gets mixed reviews, but is about the same price as Amazon lists for the Delta mortise attachment with chisels. Which is better? depends on who you ask, and not many like the DP mortiser.

Jim

Comment

• Imadunatic
            Established Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Barryton, Mi, USA.

I think the biggest limitation of a DP mortiser is the fact that the handles are so short and it does take a fair amount of OOMPH to force the chisels. It wouldn't suprise me that more than one feed handle has been broke because of a mortising attachment.

I have a General dedicated mortiser and I almost have to hang on it to get the 1/2" holes bored, and it has a crazy long handle. (24" or so??)
            I couldn't imagine attempting it on my DP. I do know that guys and gals do it with some success. and I hope that they will weigh in on this as well.

BTW, when i was looking to buy a mortiser, the dealer I went to let me try one out before I bought it. They really are a crazy unit. If you could test drive both before you bought either, it would probably help with your decision.
            If you happen through central michigan you're welcome to try mine out.

Kevin
            \"Run Varnish, Runnnnnn\"

Comment

• djmst38
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006

mortising

I hate to do this because I am not answering the posters question but I would like to comment on mortising in general. Since I built my jig for mortising with my router I will never look back. It is sooooo easy compared to using attachments for drill presses and IMO it is easier than using a mortising machine.

Comment

• agent511
                Established Member
                • Jun 2005
                • Philadelphia
                • TS3650

I have the Harbor Freight mortiser which I bought for $99 - 20%. It comes with three chisels. From what I read, it doesn't make sense to buy the DP mortiser for almost the same $$ and be less efficient.

The HF is a great value. I don't see where the more expensive name brands (that are also Asia made) are that much better to justify the higher costs.
                darksider

Comment

Working...