Clear All
  • axio
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Castro Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Hepa air cleaners

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenmore-HEPA-Air...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this good enough for shop use in a two car garage? It says it filters down to 0.3 microns, which is pretty good, right?
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by axio
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenmore-HEPA-Air...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this good enough for shop use in a two car garage? It says it filters down to 0.3 microns, which is pretty good, right?
    For home use in the recommended sized area 0.3 microns is excellent. But for a shop with particles being created in regularly in large quantities a home filter won't do the job. It doesn't filter enough volume frequently enough to keep the air clean. Also it would get clogged up frequently.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by maxparot
      For home use in the recommended sized area 0.3 microns is excellent. But for a shop with particles being created in regularly in large quantities a home filter won't do the job. It doesn't filter enough volume frequently enough to keep the air clean. Also it would get clogged up frequently.
      I agree with Maxparot completely even before I read his post. I'm sure it was designed for use in normal rooms where particulates aren't created in vast quantities.

Maybe as the air cleaner in the first room attached to your garage shop as a barrier to the rest of the house...

I read the Consumer Reports valuation of various air cleaners for home and allergen and second-hand smoke reduction for my Mom recently. I could pass on the major results if you are interested in this type of cleaner.

They said the Ionic Breeze that's highly promoted by Sharper Image is pretty much worthless. Sharper Image sued them for defamation and the judge ruled that Sharper Image did not prove CR was wrong and ordered then to pay $525,000 in court costs to CR.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pirinst
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2005
        • Portland, Or, USA.

I have the Kenmore 83202 for the bedroom

It moves a ton of air-have to cover up more at night to keep from getting too cold. Moves a lot more air than the Simplicity Clear Breeze which isn't made any more.
        That said, I wouldn't put it in the woodworking area. Isn't designed for that.

From what I've read, none of the "dust collector" systems get down to smaller than 10 micron sized particles. Lung/allergy irritants are down towards the hepa .3 micron region size wize.

The shop vacs that do utulize hepa filters don't move enough air to catch the major amount of loose particles either.

So, the dc systems won't catch the particles that are small enough to cause lung problems but will catch a lot of wood chips. (read planer here)
        The vacs will filter out down to .3 microns but can't keep up with chip volumes.

The only real alternative that I've been able to figure out is a commercial
        hepa filtering system. Apparently the govmnt strictly regulates commercial filtering systems to be accurately and truely rated. But doesn't regulate home systems at all. The upside is lung and allergy protection. Downside is very expensive cost to buy the unit. Plus I haven't seen a commercial hepa air filter store around yet.

Best option would be to work outside imo-weather permitting. If indoors, open all windows and use very high volume fans blowing out the windows.

I hope to get some money this summer and then seriously look for a commercial unit designed for small working area.

Search this forum for dust collections systems. There was a link that I already deleted that was pages and pages long explaining the current state of affairs regarding home vs commercial "dust collector"systems. They had a home made unit that seemed pretty good along with an indie guy that builds custom cyclone systems. Excellent reading material. Also lets you see through the mags that push the ww dcs without going into the lack of health benefits at the same time.....

Comment

Working...