X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HoosierWood

What would you do??

Hi guys,
    I've been bitten by the woodworking bug and am outfitting my shop. I bought the BT3100 a few months ago and have routers, DP, CMS, etc. I am now in the buying mode for the following:

13" planer
    6" jointer
    14" bandsaw

Here's the dilemma.... I have read really good reviews on the Ridgid items sold at the BORG, and can pick up all 3 machines for $1050 + tax. OR, as I work for a company that is a JET dealer, I can get the same stuff from JET for $1350 + tax + shipping. Keeping in mind that I'm just starting out, what would you recommend? I also can get the JET 708639RC DC for $305.00 which I will probably do today.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

While the Ridgid tools are pretty good, I think for $300 difference I would go with the Jets. The Planer especially.

As for the DC, I would check out the HF 2hp unit that is very popular around here.

Another option would be Grizzly.

14" ultimate bandsaw (with all the trimmins) $495
    6" Jointer $545
    15" planer $765 or 13"planer/molder $865

That's $1800 or $1900 to your door. an a good bit less if you have a store near you.
    Last edited by Russianwolf; 04-07-2006, 10:39 AM.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by HoosierWood
      Hi guys,
      I've been bitten by the woodworking bug and am outfitting my shop. I bought the BT3100 a few months ago and have routers, DP, CMS, etc. I am now in the buying mode for the following:

13" planer
      6" jointer
      14" bandsaw

Here's the dilemma.... I have read really good reviews on the Ridgid items sold at the BORG, and can pick up all 3 machines for $1050 + tax. OR, as I work for a company that is a JET dealer, I can get the same stuff from JET for $1350 + tax + shipping. Keeping in mind that I'm just starting out, what would you recommend? I also can get the JET 708639RC DC for $305.00 which I will probably do today.

Thanks,
      Tim
      Some of the intangibles:
      Added shipping costs for heavy Jet tools, probably $150
      resale advantage of Jet probably higher if you ever want to move up or quit .
      May or may not be an advantage at work to be able to say, oh, I've used/own that Jet tool... (since you said that you work for a Jet dealer)
      If you have trouble, HD is nearby (but then, you have a Jet dealer at the office) - maybe a wash.

overall, I think either set of tools will provide a satisfactory experience.

trump card - can you get more discount at work if you say, I'd like to buy a Jet (we sell) but right now it looks like the Ridgid price is going to save me at least $250 on these three tools...?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Given the choices you've stated I think the Ridgid would give you more value for the money spent. However, I wouldn't buy either the Jet or the Ridgid BS. IMO, best bang for the dollar there would be the Griz. Ultimate BS.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The Jet jointer is pretty comparable to the Ridgid except for the closed base...for the difference in price, I'd get the Ridgid b/c there is likely to be no significant performance or reliability advantage.

Jet's portable planer is more of an unknown...the Ridgid is pretty well proven.

The Jet BS is likely the better tool. Shipping will not be insignificant with these purchases so be sure not to check.

If it were me, I'd get the Ridgid planer and jointer, and the Jet BS and DC.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• HoosierWood

Thanks!

You guys just reconfirmed the things I was leaning towards... Although I thought it would be 'cool' to have a one color shop, I also knew that wasn't very sensible!

Soooo..... here's the list. For sure... no doubt... not gonna change my mind for the 382nd time... nope...

Grizzly Ultimate BS
            Ridgid Planer
            Ridgid Jointer
            HF DC (all the postive posts have swayed me) I've never owned a HF tool, hope you guys are right about this one!

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

• Toolhound
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2006

You should consider the Delta 50-760 dust collector as an alternative to the Harbor Freight. It was rated as best overall value and best overall choice in the recent Fine Woodworking article on dust collectors. It is supplied with a premium quality oversize 1 micron felt bag as opposed to the worthless 30 micron bag that comes with the HF (and many others including Jet), that you will have to purchase separately as an upgrade (~75.00). The Delta will have better resale value, and assumedly better quality and future parts support than HF. You can usually get a good deal through Amazon with free shipping and using current discount codes.

Comment

• sacherjj
                Not Your Average Joe
                • Dec 2005
                • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                • BT3100-1

I'm picking up my Ridgid Jointer and Planer today. Home Depot has the tool deal for $125 gift card for over $600. I signed up for a HD Card, because they have no interest for 12 months until 4/9 (Sunday). I was gonna wait another few weeks, but hard to pass that up.
                Last edited by sacherjj; 04-08-2006, 10:22 AM.
                Joe Sacher

Comment

Working...