• Show
Clear All
  • Derrick
    Established Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Kansas City
    • BT3100

Ridge blade recommendations?

Does anyone have one of these that they would recommend? I am looking to replace the stock China made blade. I know the Forrest is highly recommended but I am wondering how this blade compares too it.
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

Don't know about the Ridgid Derrick. But my choice for years is anything with Freud on it. HD sells a Freud 40t combo for about $29 which is a pretty danged good blade for the money. Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Stan
      • Mar 2004
      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

I bought the same blade Pat was referring to, very happy with it.
      From the NW corner of Montana.
      http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

&quot;Ridge&quot; Blade

Hi Derrick - Some clarification might be helpful. "Ridgid" markets blades made by Freud, and then there's an elite brand called "Ridge Carbide" that's unrelated and that will hang with the Forrest. The RC is excellent.

The Ridgid appears comparable to the entry level Freud stuff, but it's hard to know for certain. The teeth appear smaller than Freud's better "L" series.

Anyone of these should be decent though.
        Last edited by Knottscott; 04-04-2006, 11:41 AM.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Derrick
          Established Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Kansas City
          • BT3100

Sorry, I was wondering about the "Ridge Carbide" blade. Holbren has them on sale for $79 and Amazon has the "Forrest Woodworker II" for around $80. I figure for only a dollar difference I would rather give the business to Brian. I just don't know how these two blades compare to each other. Of course for $29 and what I consider very high recommendation's I will probably end up with the Freud. I just want to do the research before I make the purchase. I imagine most of my cuts are going to be on smallish projects (Turkey box calls) and I am going to need the smoothest cutting blade I can afford with little, to no, glue up preperation. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Derrick
            Sorry, I was wondering about the "Ridge Carbide" blade. Holbren has them on sale for $79 and Amazon has the "Forrest Woodworker II" for around $80. I figure for only a dollar difference I would rather give the business to Brian. I just don't know how these two blades compare to each other. Of course for $29 and what I consider very high recommendation's I will probably end up with the Freud. I just want to do the research before I make the purchase. I imagine most of my cuts are going to be on smallish projects (Turkey box calls) and I am going to need the smoothest cutting blade I can afford with little, to no, glue up preperation. Thanks for the replies.
            I'd get the WWII for only a dollar more. It's easily the most widely highly-acclaimed blade and hardly anyone's heard of the Ridge.

My WWII cuts great and you'll get 20 other opinions to that fact if ask for opinions on the WWII.
            Here you asked about the Ridge and got zip answers.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• AlanJ
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Rochester, MN
              • BT3100

I've had a Forrest WWII on back order with Amazon for close to a month. It's killing me! I hope it's as good as I hear, after all this anticipation.
              Alan

Comment

• Holbren
                • Oct 2004
                • Heathrow, FL.

I have a brand new Forrest WWII with the goop still on the teeth that I'll sell to anyone for $80 delivered. I give the original poster first crack. I bought it and never used it now that I have the Ridge product.

As far as the Ridge blades, they are amongst the best and are preferred by some over the Forrest. It's a matter of who you talk to. Me, I think they both perform equal in any way I've used them. The reason you know more of Forrest is because they spend over $1M per year on advertising and Ridge has a smaller machine shop mentality. The owner of Ridge came from Forrest from what I understand.

My last comment is that the current version of the TS2000 has the fifth tooth raker which I don't think Forrest has yet. I think that's what the WWIII will be but don't quote me on that.

Give one a try, the money back guarantee is for all items I sell.

OK, commercial over.
                Brian
                Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                www.holbren.com

Comment

• Holbren
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Heathrow, FL.

I forgot to mention the WWII I have is the 1/8" kerf.
                  Brian
                  www.holbren.com

Comment

• Derrick
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Kansas City
                    • BT3100

Thanks for the offer Brian but I'll have to pass on the WWII for now.

Comment

• ryan.s
                      • Feb 2006
                      • So Cal
                      • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by AlanJ
                      I've had a Forrest WWII on back order with Amazon for close to a month. It's killing me! I hope it's as good as I hear, after all this anticipation.
                      Same here. I keep checking to see if they shipped it but no dice.

What Brian says is very true. I heard the guys that started Ridge Carbide came from Forrest and the quality of RC blades are just as good as Forrest, it's just a matter of who you ask.

Comment

• btv
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2006

I went to The Woodworking Show and saw them demo. Forrester blades. And was impressed buy them but was wondering how much it was the saw. I saw them demo dewalt Woodworking blade and bought it.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/ac...categoryID=971

Because it was cheaper (50 at the show). Man did it make a difference. No burning the saw made a totally different sound. It was like cutting butter. My freind got one to. He said the same thing. And I bet any of the upper end blades are good. It sold me on good blades. And I'll never go back.

Comment

• Derrick
                          Established Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Kansas City
                          • BT3100

Well, I had to try one of these blades if not just for curiosity's sake. I got the blade today, Very fast shipping, as always, from Brian. Installed it and did a quick cut before I had to leave. The initial impression is very good. The 1st cut was smoooooooth!... I'll know more with further use but I can't compare it with the Forrest since I don't own one. I like it so far. Now I'm wondering about the Ridge Carbide router bits. I might have to give a couple of those a try.

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Derrick
                            Well, I had to try one of these blades if not just for curiosity's sake. I got the blade today, Very fast shipping, as always, from Brian. Installed it and did a quick cut before I had to leave. The initial impression is very good. The 1st cut was smoooooooth!... I'll know more with further use but I can't compare it with the Forrest since I don't own one. I like it so far. Now I'm wondering about the Ridge Carbide router bits. I might have to give a couple of those a try.
                            I've used both the TS2000 TK and the WWII TK on my saw and compared them. With my unscientific tests I couldn't really tell the cuts apart. If anything, the RC had a slight advantage, but my tests are crude enough that I'm not ready to announce from the roof top that the RC cuts definitively better....the fact that it cuts in the same league as the WWII speaks very highly for the RC. The RC definitely has larger teeth.
                            Last edited by Knottscott; 11-29-2008, 07:08 AM.
                            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Holbren
                              • Oct 2004
                              • Heathrow, FL.

Originally posted by Dustmight
                              The RC definitely has larger teeth.
                              Ridge claims 40% more carbide than Forrest and the TS2000 can be sharpended 10-12 times.
                              Brian
                              www.holbren.com

Comment

Working...