• Show
Clear All
  • venkatbo
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Forstner bits

Hi folks,

'am looking to get a (1 3/8") Forstner Bit to drill the dog holes on my bench top.
    • What brand would you recommend ?
    • Would you recommend getting it as a part of a set ?I have other drill bits, but 'am wondering if there is a special benefit to getting forstner bits of the same diameter as part of the set.
    Thanks,
    /venkat
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

I have a small set that im not sure of the brand. They are decent. And a bigger Porter Cable set which I like much better. they have the 8 sided shank or whatever so they cant move in the chuck. The holes might be a little better with the PC too because they have the 'teeth' on the side instead of the flat sides on the cheaper ones.
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• r1968
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Palo Alto, CA
      • BT3100

MLCS forstner bits are good

Hi Venkat

I have a couple of MLCS forstner bits and I like them. However, forstner bits are not recommended for hand held drill use. They are designed to be used on DP. You could search for a thread posted by Rod on benchdog hole drilling and he had a jig for his triton drill.
      Set is always a better deal. Just recently I saw a set on the Grizzly site that seemed like a very good deal.
      --raj

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

1. A 1-3/8" bit seems huge for dog holes. usually they are 3/4"
        2. For single forstner purchases, I would go with MLCS they will sell you one bit at a reasoanble price and free shipping and 2-3 day delivery (they quote 7-10 but ship bits by first class mail so you get them in 2-3 days).
        3. I would not use a hand held drill for forstners.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

The only forstners I have were bought in a 7 pc (IIRC) set from MLCS. They're carbide-edged, which I can't help but think is overkill, in hindsight. Also, since only the cutters are at full diameter, I think they'd be especially bad with a handheld drill.

Now that I've given a straight answer to your question, here comes the unsolicited advice: When I tried to drill dogholes with a forstner bit, the results were absolutely abominable. (You can get the full story in a thread I started a while back.) IMO, you'll get a much better result with a straight bit. But I don't think they'll come that large, which leads to my second point: Is there any reason you're going with such a large hole?

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Tom Miller
            ...But I don't think they'll come that large, which leads to my second point: Is there any reason you're going with such a large hole?

Regards,
            Tom
            A little bigger and they can hold a beer can.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• venkatbo
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Cupertino, CA, USA.

1 3/8" was a mistake... I meant the standard, which appears to be 3/4".
              Thanks,
              /venkat

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

1 3/8 does seem big for dog holes (but the can of beer they would hole would be pretty small). I need to drill some 3/4 holes and may use a forstener bit. If I do, I will use my Portalign setup with a hand-held drill. It is a drill chuck guided by two steel poles at right angles to a base. You attach a drill to an arbor on the opposite side of the chuck, put your bit in the chuck, and drill at right angles to the base. I haven't tried this with a forstener bit but I think it will work fine.

An unguided hand-held drill will make a mess of a forstener bit hole. I have done it with smaller bits but they always wander for me before I get a hole going and they settle down. With a big bit, it seems like a safety hazzard to have them wandering over the work.

Jim

Comment

• Holbren
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Heathrow, FL.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  A little bigger and they can hold a beer can.
                  Now there's an idea.

1-3/8" is standard for euro hinges but much too large for dog holes as pointed out. I have a bunch of carbide tipped ones I bought as promo giveaways for raised panel sets. If anyone wants one, email me at sales@holbren.com and one is yours for free, just pay shipping and for the box which will probably be $2.50 total by first class mail.
                  Brian
                  Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                  "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                  www.holbren.com

Comment

• RodKirby
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I used a 3/4" "regular" twist bit.

Yeah, I know it's HUGE, but at a slow speed on my plunge drill, it works just fine

Details: http://www.triton.com.au/product.php?id=30

Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Tom Miller
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Twin Cities, MN
                      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by JimD
                      An unguided hand-held drill will make a mess of a forstener bit hole.
                      Heck, I made a mess with a forstner bit even with one of those porta-line things (or whatever you call it).

Regards,
                      Tom

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Clemson, SC, USA
                        • Rigid TS3650

I got a set from Grizzly - suggest you do the same rather than buy just one. Top of my bench is made from 3/4 ply and 1/4 hardboard, I used a paddle bit and it worked fine.
                        Ken Weaver
                        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• vaking
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have a decent size set from Costco (about 15 bits, titanium coated). I love it, use a lot for holes with flat bottoms. It is a workhorse.
                          Alex V

Comment

• scorrpio
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Suggestion #1: a 3/4" auger bit.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...oducts_id/2744

At $19, pricey, but a lot more stable in a hole than either forstner or spade.

Suggestion #2: a guide block - to be used with either an auger or twist bit - one that has uniform thickness. Cut a piece of 2x4 about 6" long, make sure the cut is square, then cut a V notch into one end along the wide side. Easy way to do this is to put SMT to right of blade, set miter fence to square, blade set to 3/4" height and 45 degree tilt. run piece through, flip over, run through again. Set drill point on mark, move the guide up so bit sits snug in the V, and drill.

Comment

• jbalders
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2003
                              • Vienna, VA, USA.
                              • BT3100 + Shopsmith

If it absolutely has to be done with a hand drill, you might consider this. You can pick up drill guides like this from a number of places. Sears definitely sells them, and the BORG might as well.

I picked up the Hickory 16 piece set from the BORG on a 10% bucket sale off of the normal $39.96 price, and I've been very happy with it. I really haven't looked, so I can't comment on how the price compares to other sets from other vendors.

I have hand drilled (no guide) the latch holes in six doorframes, and they came out very nice. Then again, I was only drilling down about 1/2". The trick is to hold the drill perfectly still and perpendicular to the surface.

I think for dog holes, you'd have a hard time getting the holes perfectly perpendicular without either the aforementioned guide or a drill press, regardless of the type of drill bit.
                              Jeff

BOFH excuse #360: Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.

Comment

Working...