• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Can I expect better performance?

I have HF's 16ga nailer/ stapler and really hate the way the 'unused' side of the driver makes a gash in the wood when driving the brads. I've tried backing off the air pressure but then the nails are proud and I have to use a set. Of course, that's better than nothing but I wish now that I had saved and bought a better unit.
    Later,
    Chiz
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Had the same issue, Chiz. Solved it by getting a refurb PC at Woodcraft. ;-D
    Ken

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

You sure that's not an 18 ga combo? never seen a 16 ga combo before.

if you've been reading the advise here on combo nailer-staplers we've been advising against those for years based on the size of the dent, same problem you mention.

Luckily for you, you can buy the HF 2" 18 ga. brad nailer for less than $20 when on sale and save the combo unit for staples only. Where else can you solve a major tool issue for less than $20?
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-31-2006, 09:19 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        You sure that's not an 18 ga combo? never seen a 16 ga combo before.

Your are correct. It is indeed, 18ga

if you've been reading the advise here on combo nailer-staplers we've been advising against those for years based on the size of the dent, same problem you mention.

I wasn't an active reader back then - fairly new and too quick to spend a buck.

Luckily for you, you can buy the HF 2" 18 ga. brad nailer for less than $20 when on sale and save the combo unit for staples only. Where else can you solve a major tool issue for less than $20?
        ...and a new tool to boot!!

Thanks,
        Chiz
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• rg32
          Established Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Barre, Vermont, USA.

If you have the 40116 (18 ga) Combo and like anything you get from HF a degree of out the box tweeking (bending and filing) is needed.
          The answer is yes but it will just lay the head of the brad flush and it is not fool proof.
          The staple function works good so the purchase was totaly justified for me!
          As mentioned...
          The best cure is to get yourself the HF 46309 a slick unit that has been on sale lately for $14.99?
          Last edited by rg32; 03-31-2006, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• jAngiel
            • Oct 2003
            • Ryobi BT3100

It's not a HF tool issue it is common with any brand combo unit (at least as far as I know). The solution is to just use it as a stapler and get a brad nailer. I have seen high dollar units that do the exact same thing. I have one and it ticked me off too.
            James

Comment

• Ken Weaver
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Clemson, SC, USA
              • Rigid TS3650

Luckily I saw a similar discussion before I bought my first brad nailer and I stayed away from the combo. Use the combo for staples and get a regular nailer you'll be happier with the results.
              Ken Weaver
              Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

Working...