• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Bosch 1617 kit

I picked one up today at Rockler with a 10% off coupon. Came to 190$, which seems pretty good to me. Anyway, here are some thoughts.

1. No spindle lock, I wish it had one, but the 2 wrench system isn't bad either.

2. Base changing, smooth and incredibly easy.

3. Plunge base, seriously smooth, I have to watch myself that I'm not pushing down to hard on it when I use the rocker to unlock the height. It takes so little effort, very controlable.

I'm pretty happy with the purchase, I've read that there may be a power switch issue with it, and I hope that Bosch works that one out.

Now to just get a lift with a quick release for this puppy...
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by drumpriest
    I picked one up today at Rockler with a 10% off coupon. Came to 190$, which seems pretty good to me. Anyway, here are some thoughts.

1. No spindle lock, I wish it had one, but the 2 wrench system isn't bad either.

2. Base changing, smooth and incredibly easy.

3. Plunge base, seriously smooth, I have to watch myself that I'm not pushing down to hard on it when I use the rocker to unlock the height. It takes so little effort, very controlable.

I'm pretty happy with the purchase, I've read that there may be a power switch issue with it, and I hope that Bosch works that one out.

Now to just get a lift with a quick release for this puppy...
    If you got the new fixed base, you can mount it in a table, drill one hole and set the height from above the table using a long T-handle allen/hex wrench.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

Yeah, I saw that accessory. I've used the jess'em fx lift, and you can literally get 1/512" accuracy with it. I wonder how accurate you can be with that bosch above the table setup. Anyway have any experience with it??
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• ryan.s
        • Feb 2006
        • So Cal
        • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        If you got the new fixed base, you can mount it in a table, drill one hole and set the height from above the table using a long T-handle allen/hex wrench.
        Do you know if they have similar bases for the PC routers as well or is it just for the Bosch.

Comment

• monte
          Forum Windbag
          • Dec 2002
          • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
          • GI 50-185M

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          I mounted my fixed base in the table just for this reason. It works very smoothly and makes bit height adjustments very easy. The T-handle allen wrench was included with the router kit.
          Monte (another darksider)
          Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

ryan, there is a PC above the table height adjustment. The only trouble with it could be that the PC height adjuster has more play in it than the Bosch does. I noticed while playing around with them both trying to decide which one to get, the Bosch seems much "tighter" if you know what I mean.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• dpb
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006
              • Baytown, TX, USA.
              • BT3000

You might want to look at buying the Template Guides from Amazon as they are the cheapest I found because Bosch uses a different system than the regular PC style.
              Bosch Part # RA1125-7 - $22.95 at Amazon
              Set includes a bushing that will allow PC Style Guides.
              Thanks
              Derek

Comment

Working...