Clear All
  • r1968
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Palo Alto, CA
    • BT3100

Air Compressor Question

Hi Guys
    I have a compressor with a 6 gallon tank. I would like to replace the tank with this one from HF
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91064
    My question is can the tank be replaced. or is it just better to add a second tank?
    The compressor is 1HP belt driven compressor with the pump & motor on top of the tank(horizontal tank)

Thanks
    -raj
  • tuttlejr
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

No reason that you can't. Why not just hook up your unit to the new tank when you need the extra volume. A tank is just a tank regardless of the capacity.
    Bob Tuttle

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • SoCal, USA
      • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

For a lot less you can add a portable tank ,Tee at the pressure safety relief valve add a QD and with a hose you can place it where you want and have the option to not use it too.
      Andrew

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Its sort of important where you add the tank.
        Most convenient is after the regulator, you can just add a Tee to the output.
        But the air in the tank will be at the regulated pressure and the pressure will drop immediately if you need a surge in excess of the Compressor/original tank capacity. It will reduce the rate of fall-off but not prevent it.

If you tee the new tank with the orig tank before the regulator, the
        new tank will be at a pressure higher than the regulated pressure and will help keep the pressure up for longer until both tanks drop below the regulated pressure. But this is more complex, you have to disassemble the compressor plumbing to do it and it makes taking the compressor somewhere a little more difficult. (of course you cold put the tank on a QD with the sealing Female ont he original tank and the male stud on the add-on tank, and just unplug it).

Warning if you go either way and place a tee and quick connect at the compressor to attach a hose to your auxilairy tank, unplugging the hose from the QD will result in a MAJOR discharge of air from your auxiliary tank resulting in the whipping around of the hose for a long time due to the stored air. This can be dangerous as well as inconvenient.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-26-2006, 04:00 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• r1968
          Established Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Palo Alto, CA
          • BT3100

Thanks Guys

This is good info for me to go ahead. Thanks for the super quick replies
          --raj

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • SoCal, USA
            • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

Loring, I tee at the pressure safety connection to the pressure manifold,to keep the safety valve and add a QD(base of pressure sw. usu. has 4 outlets on manifold), that is unregulated ,before tank inlet valve and will fill at max. psi and the added QD is for easy use. Best performance that way and safe. The port. tanks also have safety valves too. It is also a handy source for portable air. Most AC's are like this. I use it on my twintank Hitachi oillube for better performance on site.
            Andrew

Comment

• WEG
              Established Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Nahant, MA.

Hi Raj;
              I just did what you are thinking about. I have an old CH 30 gal vert oilless compressor that gave up the ghost. I bought an 8 gal HF oil lubed on sale and put a "T" fitting before the pressure relief valve, put a shut off ball valve then a female connector. This is just another output at tank pressure, not regulated that will connect to the old tank

The old tank has it's own relief valve, reducer etc. just no compressor or motor. I removed the line from the old compressor to the tank and put on a ball valve and male connector on this tank input.

I then connected the output from the new "T" female with a curly hose to the old tank's male connector. The ball valves let me isolate the tanks and curley line so I can separate them easily if needed. I would think your idea would work just as well. You might want to buy another pressure reducer for the new tank for another regulated output and add a ball valve at each end of the new connection points.

I hope this explanation makes sense and helps you out.
              WEG

Comment

• r1968
                Established Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Palo Alto, CA
                • BT3100

Thanks WEG

reading all the replies, I was kind of leaning in that direction. Your post helped clarify and firm my mind.
                --raj

PS: Where is Nahant, MA

Comment

• just4funsies
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Florida.
                  • BT3000

Another place you can plumb your extra tank is at the drain valve connection at the bottom of your existing tank (provided you have a drain valve). It's a standard IPS threaded fitting, and you just add a short nipple and a tee, then put the drain valve back on the tee, thus letting the drain valve serve both tanks, if you plumb it right (meaning off the bottom of both tanks).
                  ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• WEG
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Nahant, MA.

Hi Raj;

Nahant is a penninsula town of approximately one square mile, 1500 homes, about 3900 people, no traffic lights, Walmarts, or McDonalds. It's about 4 miles North of Boston as "the crow flies"...about 12 miles if "the crow is walking". It's connected to the "mainland" by a 1 1/2 mile causeway. To those of us living out here, it really is a "little bit of heaven". Thanks for asking and giving me the opportunity to brag a bit about it!

WEG

Comment

Working...