• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Disc Sander

Has anyone attempted making their own 12 " disc sander? I would love to see some pics to get some ideas or just hear some suggestions. Planning to take the motor off an unused table saw (older craftsman) and using for a disc sander. The motor is a 15amp 2hp motor (at least that's what it says on the saw). My concern is would this be too much power for a disc sander?

I was also thinking about converting the cast iron top and the cabinet of saw into a router table. Would it work?
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I don't think power would be a real issue, it is just the speed. You would want a real small pulley on the motor and a huge one on the disc. Then you need decent bearings. I remeber seeing a sharpening station which was a glorified disc sander, built from a desktop DP.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ryan.s
      Has anyone attempted making their own 12 " disc sander? I would love to see some pics to get some ideas or just hear some suggestions. Planning to take the motor off an unused table saw (older craftsman) and using for a disc sander. The motor is a 15amp 2hp motor (at least that's what it says on the saw). My concern is would this be too much power for a disc sander?

I was also thinking about converting the cast iron top and the cabinet of saw into a router table. Would it work?
      You might find this approach easier:
      There are some 10" disks with an 5/8" arbor hole designed to turn a
      table saw into a large disk sander. it's not 12" but its close and would make you work much easier. Because you can use the existing top and the throat plate. Already squared up plus you get a complete 0-45° bevel option with scale and stops if you want.

a desirable speed in my opinion would be 1750 RPM for that large a disk, if you are using an old TS, it's more likely to be 3500 RPM or so if its an induction motor or 3000 or up if its a universal motor.

As for power, the motor doesn't put out any more power than its loaded up with, so you'll not have too much power unless you jam somthing in the sander/TS. in that case, a weaker motor will stall but the bigger motor will probably break some parts and fling them with great force. That's your only danger, so I'd put some guards on it and obey safety rules.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-23-2006, 10:22 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jl
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2003
        • Nova Scotia, Canada.

Here is a link for a disk sander plan:

http://benchnotes.com/DISK%20SANDER%20/Disk_Sander.html
        Jean-Luc

Comment

• ryan.s
          • Feb 2006
          • So Cal
          • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks for the comments guys. Loring your suggestion about the table saw attachment sounds like it would be a good idea. Do you know where I could find one of these attachments? I did a search on google and nothing too promising came up. Thanks.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ryan.s
            Thanks for the comments guys. Loring your suggestion about the table saw attachment sounds like it would be a good idea. Do you know where I could find one of these attachments? I did a search on google and nothing too promising came up. Thanks.
            found these in short order.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

http://www.cheyennesales.com/catalog/cmtbaldisk.htm

key word would be sanding disk table saw, I think.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Thom2
              Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
              • Jan 2003
              • Stevens, PA, USA.
              • Craftsman 22124

Craftsman 10 in. Sanding Wheel

Sears item #00922723000 Mfr. model #22723 --- $16.99
              If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
              **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• gjat
                • Nov 2005
                • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                • BT3100

Add at $10 HF speed control and you can slow down the old table saw. I'm kicking myself for selling my old saw now.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gjat
                  Add at $10 HF speed control and you can slow down the old table saw. I'm kicking myself for selling my old saw now.
                  That's assuming it has a universal, not induction motor, probably true if its a under $150 when new table saw.

Induction motors should not be controlled with a electronic speed control like the $10 ones.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• mschrank
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Hood River, OR, USA.
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    That's assuming it has a universal, not induction motor, probably true if its a under $150 when new table saw.

Induction motors should not be controlled with a electronic speed control like the $10 ones.
                    So, what are your thoughts on using a speed controller on the BT3xxx (since it has a universal motor)?

And, do you think using one of the TS sanding discs is OK...or would it stress the bearings on the BT3xxx? I know you're not a fan of using a drill press as a drum sander for the same reason...

Obviously, this isn't directed just at Loring...you can all feel free to jump in and tell me this is a bad idea

I want/need a disc sander...they just seem overpriced for what they are
                    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by mschrank
                      So, what are your thoughts on using a speed controller on the BT3xxx (since it has a universal motor)?

And, do you think using one of the TS sanding discs is OK...or would it stress the bearings on the BT3xxx? I know you're not a fan of using a drill press as a drum sander for the same reason...

Obviously, this isn't directed just at Loring...you can all feel free to jump in and tell me this is a bad idea

I want/need a disc sander...they just seem overpriced for what they are
                      never tried it but it should work, just make sure its rated for 15 Amps.
                      as for the bearings... if you don't press real hard it may not put too bad a side load on it. some people just touch work to a disk sander but I'm sure others push hard enough to stall the motor.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...