• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

HF Forstner bit set opinions?

Are the titanium nitride Forstner bits carried at Harbor Freight any good? Does the titanium nitride buy me anything really? I work with quite a bit of plywood, particle board, and MDF.

Thanks,
    Phil
  • dkhoward
    • Dec 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
    • bt3000

I don't know about the titanium (no metalurgical background), but I have a set of the HF bits and they work great for me. Of course, I am a part time hobby type user.
    Dennis K Howard
    www.geocities.com/dennishoward
    "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have the HF Tn ones and they are OK. I would buy them again as opposed to two to three times the price for other brands at another store. I don't use them often but when I do, they do an OK job.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a set of the HF TiN forstner bits (1/16ths to 2") and I believe I am pretty happy with them. I have not used any truly expensive ones so I have no comparison, however they seem to be pretty well finished and run true. I cut 92 holes to day with the 1-1/4" bit.

The TiN coating is supposed to help resist heat buildup that detempers the steel - It's both harder and slipperier than the base metal. the bit lasts longer and cuts better.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-20-2006, 11:36 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Quite good for the money.

I have both of the 7-piece HaFr Forstner bit sets (plain, TiN). IIRC I caught the latter on sale for some absurdly low price, like $3.99. Either set is well worth that. I can't detect a whole lot of difference made by the TiN coating but I'd say they maybe cut a little bit better. Maybe.

However, I should also mention that I own one (only) Freud "Precision Shear" Forstner bit and the difference between it and the HaFr cheapies is truly night and day.
          Larry

Comment

• uglystick
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Garland, TX, USA
            • Ridgid R4511 Granite top

HF 7pc TiN Forstner set

I also have the 7pc TiN set from HF. No complaints for the few sizes I've used so far in plywood and some cherry. A great value in my opinion. Remember to adjust the speed of your drill press!
            -Kendall

Comment

• zootroy
              Established Member
              • Oct 2005
              • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

7pc TiN

another vote. No problems to date. Used the 1/2" for about 20 mortises.

Comment

Working...