• Show
Clear All
  • dpb
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Baytown, TX, USA.
    • BT3000

Cutters

Being a Tool and Die Maker and weekend Sawdust Maker I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a difference between a 1/4" or 1/2" shank cutter for wood and one that is used for metal.
    Thanks
    Derek
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dpb
    Being a Tool and Die Maker and weekend Sawdust Maker I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a difference between a 1/4" or 1/2" shank cutter for wood and one that is used for metal.
    First thought is that you are talking of a router since their bits are avail in 1/4 and 1/2 shanks.

But then you mention cutting metal and wood. Routers are hardly ever used to cut metal that I know of. I imagine the speed is too high.

Maybe you should clarify what tool, what metals and what bits?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I suppose he means end mill cutters.

Something like http://www.grizzly.com/products/H7631
      I am fairly sure you can chuck one of these into a router and use it on wood. However, you might have problems - end mill flutes are shallow for extra strength. They are designed for slower feed rate and do not need to remove waste as quickly. Using them on wood, you'll have to go slow for adequate chip removal - but then you might cause burning.

However, I am 100% sure the opposite is not the case. A spiral bit designed for wood will NOT work on metal. Wood spiral bits have very large, deep flutes for aggressive chip removal, and that weakens the bit significantly. They will do fine in wood, but will snap if you try them on metal.

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

In short, the difference between bits is:
        1. Flute design. Metal cutter has shallow flutes for strength that are shaped to produce shavings rather than chips. Wood cutter has deeper flutes for fast chip removal.
        2. Material. Soft metal cutters use about same carbide as wood cutters - but catters used for steel and such are made from tougher grades of carbide.

Comment

• dpb
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006
          • Baytown, TX, USA.
          • BT3000

Thanks for the info, I might try one of the end mills I have just to see and no I'm not talking about using a router to cut metal, it's just that I have several End Mills in my tool box from my T & D days that I just thought they might work on wood as well but you may be right as far as the flutes are concerned.
          Thanks for the replies anyway.
          Derek
          Thanks
          Derek

Comment

Working...