• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

bad timberwolf perhaps??

I just installed my new 1/2" 3 tpi blade from Suffolk. And as I track it, I noticed that the blade isn't running true. It is moving from front to back over a small portion of the blade, then runs true until I get to that portion of the blade again. I was initially worried that my wheel may have issues, but my smaller blades don't exhibit this behavior. Anyone have any comments about this??

Thanks,
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by drumpriest
    I just installed my new 1/2" 3 tpi blade from Suffolk. And as I track it, I noticed that the blade isn't running true. It is moving from front to back over a small portion of the blade, then runs true until I get to that portion of the blade again. I was initially worried that my wheel may have issues, but my smaller blades don't exhibit this behavior. Anyone have any comments about this??

Thanks,
    I would call the folks at Suffolk Machinery since you bought it from them. I hear their customer support folks are first rate and have a great understanding of bandsaws.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

Keith, a call is a good idea.
      Is this your first TW blade?
      Tensioning these blades is different than other brands. If you haven't, read the info on their site about tensioning with the blade flutter. It is different to get use to and I have seen TW blades do strange things if tensioned to much. For larger blades like your 1/2" one, if your tension indicator is at or above the 1/2" mark, it's probably too tight.
      ken

Comment

• JTimmons
        • Feb 2005
        • Denver, CO.
        • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by drumpriest

Thanks,
        Funny, I thought it was Shipwreck I was discussing this with in the chatroom yesterday morning. He was having the same problem with a timberwolf blade.
        Last edited by JTimmons; 03-19-2006, 05:49 AM.
        "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
        -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• kwgeorge
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Alvin, TX, USA.

I also have experienced this from a Timber Wolf blade purchased at Woodcraft. It was my first Timber wolf and quite a disappointment. I followed there directions and tried everything but the blade seems to have a twist in a certain part of it. You can visibly see it flutter when running. This flutter basically leaves a terrible cut line. I thought about emailing them and seeing if I could get some advice or whatnot but instead decided not to bother with it and went back to the Olsen pro’s that I had been using.

I paid $27.99 for this blade instead of the $16 to $17 that I normally pay and spent several hours playing with it trying to get the flutter out. I guess the moral of the story for me is, if something is working well for you and your are not having issues then why change?

Comment

• Shipwreck
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2005

Bandsaw blade

I was in the chat room yesterday myself, describing the same problem.

When I installed the Timberwolf 1/4" 6 pt. blade. It wandered back and forth (looking at the side of the blade. It would have required at least a 3/16" gap to stay off of the thrust roller. I double checked for coplaner wheels and played with the blade tension for a 1/2 hour to no avail.

When I put my stock 3/8" 6 pt. blade back on , the wandering was minimal.

I'm new to band saws as far as ownership goes, and I'm open to any suggestions.

Seems to me the blade might be the problem.

Im not worried about a replacement, WC and Suffolk are great companies to seal with.

Comment

• dkhoward
              • Dec 2003
              • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
              • bt3000

Geez, I just got 4 new blades from Suffolk in the mail last week. Now Im headed out to the shop to unstack the junk around mysaw and install and tension the blades to see if they wobble or flutter!
              Dennis K Howard
              www.geocities.com/dennishoward
              "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• Whaler
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Sequim, WA, USA.
                • DW746

I have had about 6 different Timber Wolf blades from Suffolk on my saw and have never had a problem.
                Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Liberty, SC, USA.
                  • Ridgid TS3650

I haven't had any problems with TW blades myself. It did take some time to get it thru my thick head on the adjustments.
                  I don't get them at WC tho, I order from Suffolk and then have the difference in price to give to WC for other stuff.
                  ken
                  Last edited by Ken Massingale; 03-19-2006, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

I will let you all know what happens with this, as I'm going to call them this week. I get the blades from a welding facility for TW, which happens to be here in Pittsburgh. This was a 20$ 1/2" 3tpi blade. WC has them with about a 1/3 markup.

I like Olsen blades as well, but can't get them in the length that I need. (99 3/4)
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...