• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

HF 17" bandsaw

I have just begun toying with the idea of a BS and came across this one at the HF site: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3179
    I don't recall seeing this before - new? It has a few nice features sd listed:
    Two-speeds: 1600 & 3300 FPM
    Magnifying aluminum rip fence
    Front blade tension window
    Micro adjusting table
    Quick-release blade system
    Height control gear wheel
    4'' dia. dust chute built-in

At the current sale price of $749 it's pretty tempting. Of course, you get what you pay for. I just curious about any first hand experience with this unit.
    TIA,
    Chiz
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

That saw looks identical to the Jet model I have seen at Rockler.

Comment

• AlanWS
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Shorewood, WI.

It also looks very much like the Grizzly G0513. I suspect that HF bandsaw is sold over the web only, so the 20% off coupons would not apply. If it were in the store, so you could inspect it first, wouldn't pay shipping, and could take 20% off the price, that would be very appealing. Otherwise, with the Grizzly looking the same but 30 lb heavier, and $50 more plus whatever the difference in shipping might be, I would consider the Grizzly a safer bet.
      Alan

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by AlanWS
        It also looks very much like the Grizzly G0513. I suspect that HF bandsaw is sold over the web only, so the 20% off coupons would not apply. If it were in the store, so you could inspect it first, wouldn't pay shipping, and could take 20% off the price, that would be very appealing. Otherwise, with the Grizzly looking the same but 30 lb heavier, and $50 more plus whatever the difference in shipping might be, I would consider the Grizzly a safer bet.
        I just looked at the web pages. The griz 0513 is remarkably similar in specs, physical size and appearance. For the difference in price, the grizzly reputation and the resale value of the name, I'd go with the griz.

if you need more justification, The Griz comes with a miter gage, the HF does not state so and the pciture does not show one. So there's the $50 difference.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Holbren
          • Oct 2004
          • Heathrow, FL.

That look like my 19" Shop Fox too but smaller obviously. I'm sure it's the same as the SF 17". I only paid $850 for the 19" so maybe if you look around you can find a good deal on their 17" model.

I agree with Loring, stay with somebody like Grizzly especially if you ever need help or parts.
          Brian
          Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          www.holbren.com

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Thanks for the slap upside the head, folks. Parts!! Of course. HF is notorious for a 6-8 wk turnaround on parts. Right now I'm facing a probable bearing failure in my HF, 2HP, DC. When the weather breaks I'll have to dig it out from behind all of the stored lumbar and pool equipment. If the bearing turns out to be in the motor I'll likely buy elsewhere.
            Thanks again,
            Chiz
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

Working...