• Show
Clear All
  • jbalders
    Established Member
    • Oct 2003
    • Vienna, VA, USA.
    • BT3100 + Shopsmith

NiCD vs LiON vs NiMH

I get the idea behind the different types of batteries, more or less. I also understand that the charging characteristics of each one are completely different, and therefore require different chargers.

The one thing with this whole Li-ion/NiMH movement that I don't understand is why they don't sell an 18v replacement battery + charger that works in place of an 18v NiCD battery + charger. Isn't an 18v battery and 18v battery to the tool using it as long as it can provide the same amount of current? Most of my other battery-eating electronics don't seem to care whether it's a Alkaline, NiCD, Li-ion, or NiMH, although some obviously last longer than others (both life and charge).

I don't want to have to replace my entire batch of tools, although I can understand why the tool manufacturers would want me to. Replacing just my batteries as they die is much more environmentally friendly.
    Last edited by jbalders; 03-14-2006, 11:38 PM.
    Jeff

BOFH excuse #360: Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jbalders
    I get the idea behind the different types of batteries, more or less. I also understand that the charging characteristics of each one are completely different, and therefore require different chargers.

The one thing with this whole Li-ion/NiMH movement that I don't understand is why they don't sell an 18v replacement battery + charger that works in place of an 18v NiCD battery + charger. Isn't an 18v battery and 18v battery to the tool using it as long as it can provide the same amount of current? Most of my other battery-eating electronics don't seem to care whether it's a Alkaline, NiCD, Li-ion, or NiMH, although some obviously last longer than others (both life and charge).

I don't want to have to replace my entire batch of tools, although I can understand why the tool manufacturers would want me to. Replacing just my batteries as they die is much more environmentally friendly.
    There's really two reasons:
    One, since the socket for the batt pack ont he tool is the same, the battery packs will be interchangeable. Since the battery packs for chemistry 1, chemistry 2 etc area alike, there's precious little to keep you from pulgging into the wrong charger with possible serious liability hazards - fire, etc.

Second, there's not really good money in designing and providing accessories for old tools. Its really better business for them to design new battery packs and make you buy new tools with the advantageous new batteries and the accompanying improvements.

Not cynical, just practical.

P.s. these are not absolutes. It is possible to design chargers that can sense the battery type and charge accordingly but that adds expense and complexity. Also battery packs can have physical keys and stuff where the tools mates with all keys and the charger mates only with the properly keyed battery pack. But these require forethought and still, frankly I don't think the tool comapnies are motivated to do it.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-15-2006, 08:26 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jdschulteis
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Interestingly, Milwaukee's forthcoming V18 Li-ion will retrofit to their existing 18 volt NiCd tools.
      http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/n...4?OpenDocument
      The press release doesn't say what they did about the plug-it-into-the-wrong-charger problem. I know the batteries have some circuitry in them, perhaps it deals with the issue.
      Jerry

Comment

• jbalders
        Established Member
        • Oct 2003
        • Vienna, VA, USA.
        • BT3100 + Shopsmith

Thanks. You both confirmed my suspicions.
        Jeff

BOFH excuse #360: Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.

Comment

Working...