• Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

Major Rant about HF 2hp DC

Okay, this may have been mentioned before and I'm just too lazy to find it, but I went to the shop to assemble the Dc today and what do I find?

1) not enough hardware to assemble the thing as per instructions.

2) the hardware that I did have wouldn't fit through many of the holes on the base.

3) some of the hardware was of insuffiecient (sp?) length to allow for the use of the provided washers.

4) the length was also too short to allow me to install the bag hanger for the top bag.

Luckily I improvised and used a base that I had made for another project and my own hardware to finishe what I needed.

So, how many of you have a DC on a Maple and Cherry base with a Elm frame?
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

The shortcomings of the HFDC instructions have been gone over MANY times.

Some time last year, early, because I got mine in January, it was noted in dissuasions here that they had made some changes in the design but not
    corrected the instructions.

In fact, IIRC, the base had been originally made with thru-holes but the new design used punched and threaded holes so that the bolts holding down most of the components would no longer need the nut and lock washer but simply screw into the base. It was also noted that the parts lists as a result no longer added up and also there was confusing description of the screws/bolts, you had to count them to see which was which. The swivel casters had all be replaced by locking swivel casters and as a result the wheels would not swivel all the way since the lock levers hit the lip. So its interesting that the instructions over a year later still have not been updated.

There were quite some threads that should be searchable documenting all this.
    like this:
    The HF DC 2HP unit and the accessory kit have arrived last night and so far the LOML has not asked any questions [:0]. I know that many of you have this unit and was wondering what tips can be passed on for the setup. I have read about some sort of problems with the caster, but nothing that a BFG can't fix ;). This may be a
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-05-2006, 01:56 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ironace
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006
      • Bristow, Va, USA.
      • BT3100

My HF DC is setting in the middle of the shop waiting to be put together.... I found this site while research what DC to get http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...27s%20HFDC.htm

Comment

• jbalders
        Established Member
        • Oct 2003
        • Vienna, VA, USA.
        • BT3100 + Shopsmith

My HF 2HP DC arrived about the same time as Loring got his. I had read the horror stories about the assembly. I seem to remember quickly looking through the instructions, and then doing my own assembly without looking at them again by pretending it was a jigsaw puzzle. It went together quicky and I didn't have any problems.

It had the same problem Loring mentioned regarding the casters hitting the sides of the frame. I bent the locks slightly, and no longer have problems. Others have put small blocks of 3/4" plywood under the base and attached the casters to that -- you'd need longer bolts or some other arrangement, though.

It's been a champ ever since.
        Last edited by jbalders; 03-05-2006, 01:24 AM.
        Jeff

BOFH excuse #360: Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.

Comment

• jdschulteis
          Established Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jbalders
          [. . .]
          It had the same problem Loring mentioned regarding the casters hitting the sides of the frame. I bent the locks slightly, and no longer have problems. Others have put small blocks of 3/4" plywood under the base and attached the casters to that -- you'd need longer bolts or some other arrangement, though.

It's been a champ ever since.
          I used scraps of 2x in the corners. My "other arrangement" was short lag bolts, 2 from the top holding each block to the base, 2 from the bottom holding each caster to its block. No problem so far.
          Jerry

Comment

• monte
            Forum Windbag
            • Dec 2002
            • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
            • GI 50-185M

I purchased mine about a year ago and did not have any problems at al with the assembly. Sorry to hear of your problems.
            Monte (another darksider)
            Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• lcm1947
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Austin, Texas
              • BT 3100-1

Just curious. Why would you ever want to lock the DC anyway? I've never had to do that. Do you guys live on a hill? Just curious, not about the living on a hill but about having or needing to lock down the DC.
              May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by lcm1947
                Just curious. Why would you ever want to lock the DC anyway? I've never had to do that. Do you guys live on a hill? Just curious, not about the living on a hill but about having or needing to lock down the DC.
                Ha, well you definately want the casters to be able to swivel. Some of the posters right after the swivel fiasco said they wondered why their wheels left 12 foot skid marks when they moved the DC.

My guess at the time was that the factory had been offered locking casters cheaper than their old non-locking casters and changed the supplier and model without having checked the fit forgetting about the added lever. That's a roundabout way of saying the originals did not lock - thus the answer would be it doesn't need to lock. (or, maybe they changed to locking because they found it did need to lock... isn't speculation fun? ).
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-05-2006, 10:36 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

In my case all the nuts to attach the castrers were missing.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Abyss, PA
                    • Ridgid R4512

Who reads the instructions? Half the fun is doing the work without them.

Comment

• sacherjj
                      Not Your Average Joe
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I didn't like the smallish nuts for the casters, so I purchased 16 bolts, nuts, and lockwashers and drilled out the holes to be the same size as the caster holes. I also mounted my Wynn filter today. Very nice. I went with the $91 paper blend filter.
                      Joe Sacher

Comment

• kmbanes
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2006

There were supposed to be instructions?!?!?!?

kbanes

Comment

• wassaw998
                          • Jul 2004
                          • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Mine went together smooth with no issues (all parts included), including no issues on the casters. There appears to be a few "variations" floating around, plus some quality control issues, which is not a real shocker considering the source! Don't let me discourage you, but, if I had to do it over again, I'd look real hard at the Delta 50-760 , esp. considering you'd not have to be concerned about buying a quality bag/conversion cart to beat the 30 mic bags on the HF unit...

Chris

Comment

• BobSch
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by kmbanes
                            There were supposed to be instructions?!?!?!?

kbanes
                            THAT'S what the sheet of paper was? I thought it was Chineese TP Well, back to the Sears catalog, I guess...

Seriously, anytime you buy something from HF that needs assembly, plan on doing some improvising.
                            Last edited by BobSch; 03-06-2006, 11:40 AM.
                            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• venkatbo
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2006
                              • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Originally posted by wassaw998
                              ... Don't let me discourage you, but, if I had to do it over again, I'd look real hard at the Delta 50-760 , esp. considering you'd not have to be concerned about buying a quality bag/conversion cart to beat the 30 mic bags on the HF unit...
                              As an FYI...

I think in the latest issue of Fine Woodworking mag, they've rated this particular Delta model as the Best Bang For The Buck & got the Editor's Choice... And with the $50 off at Amazon, you can probably get it for ~250 (HD price match of $300 - $50) - that's ~30 higher than fitting the HF model with a 1 micron bag...

/venkat
                              Last edited by venkatbo; 03-06-2006, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...