• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Another dust extraction/shop vac question

I still use a shop vac for dust collection. Due to shop size constraints, I'll probably be sticking with that. On my previous (V1) router-table extension for my BT3K, I discovered that dust extraction for non-through dados was a problem. I sorta solved this by drilling a 1.25" hole in the table, about ten inches to the left of the bit. I installed a dust port to the bottom of the table and connected my shop vac. When cutting dados, the dust pretty much is thrown right at the hole and is sucked away. As the cut continues, the piece eventually covers the hole and dust extraction continues (nice clean dados when I'm done with the cut). However, due to less air flow, you can really hear the shop vac work harder when the piece covers the hole, and there is quite a hold-down effect on the piece I'm cutting. It works, but isn't perfect.

Can anyone suggest a method of making a pressure valve that would allow air into the hose when the piece of material is directly over the hole?

Thanks!
    Phil
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah, this'll work great:
    Drill holes in the bottom of your dado groove

OK, I apologize.

you deserve a real answer.... um how about more holes? A 1.25" hole won't exactly overwhelm your vacuum, it could stand more holes the same size and still suck pretty good.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• just4funsies
      • Dec 2005
      • Florida.
      • BT3000

Or maybe a more linear hole, in line with the dado groove, and like 4" long?
      ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Wood_workur
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Ohio
        • Ryobi bt3100-1

What you really want to do is drill a seris of holes that is parallel to the fence, in the smallest sizes dado you plan on cutting. Then the suction from the shop vac will suck the dust, and not the wood.
        Alex

Comment

Working...