• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoly
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

PC 4212 DT jig...What Router?

Have recently ordered the jig thinking(no research) that I could use one of my 1/4" routers only to find that it uses a 1/2" shank bit. Guess that means I am in the market for another 1/2" router. Needs to take the PC guide bushings. What are the recommendations? Obvious choice is a pc but have been looking at the Bosch 1617evspk. Will it take the pc bushings? Really could use suggestions and any thoughts on this.

Thanks
    Steve
    It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Half-inch? No kidding?

I recently bought that jig, haven't even opened the box ... just checked my PDF copy of the manual and sure enough, the bits are 1/2" shank. Sonofagun. Well, there goes my plan to semi-retire my old 1HP Craftsman to dovetail duty.

Porter-Cable guides fit a 1-3/16" hole. Some mfrs use subbases that have this size opening but I'm 99.44% certain Bosch is not one of them. You could, however, buy an aftermarket subbase if the 1617 is the router you decide to buy. A universal model will cost $20-25, or you can get one from Pat Warner for $18.

http://www.patwarner.com/round_subbase.html

Other options: will your router accept a 1/2" collet? Have you looked for bits with 1/4" shanks? I read somewhere recently that Whiteside is now making the odd-sized bits that are required for this jig, but I don't know what shank sizes are offered.
    Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LarryG

Porter-Cable guides fit a 1-3/16" hole. Some mfrs use subbases that have this size opening but I'm 99.44% certain Bosch is not one of them. You could, however, buy an aftermarket subbase if the 1617 is the router you decide to buy. A universal model will cost $20-25, or you can get one from Pat Warner for $18.
      The Bosch won't take the PC templates gude bushings directly.
      The Bosch folks decided to go non-standard on bushings to make an improvement. They include a quick-connect bushing adapter with the routers and sell a set of bushings that have a bayonet for 1/8th-turn locking into place. They also include in this kit a adapter to take PC bushings and make it into a quick connect.

The adapter is available separately if you have PC bushings already.
      The QC kit costs less than most PC bushing kits.

At first (before I tried it) I thought it was going to be a pain but it really is a beautiful system. No slop at all and quick and easy to use/change.

RA1100 Adapter, $7 at Amazon

RA1125 kit of 6 QC bushings plus RA1100 adapter. $20-25

Rather than buy a new base, I'd just buy the Bosch bushing kit and have quick change capability for the same or less bucks. Or, buy the adapter for $7 and use your existing PC-style bushings.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-21-2006, 03:54 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Steve,

You lobbed Loring a softball with the reference to the Bosch. It is typically either one of the top rated or the top rated mid-sized router. It is also Loring's first choice.

You should seriously consider a two base kit. A plunge base and a fixed base that share the same motor. With a good mid-sized router (like the Bosch or a DeWalt, or my personal favorite, the PC) you will have a router you will use for the rest of your life - and your kids can use after you are gone.

I use the now obsolete PC690 series. The Bosch and the newer 890 series PC get higher marks from the reviewers. I still like my "old" routers (I have two and 4 bases) just fine.

Jim

Comment

• scoly
          Established Member
          • Jun 2003
          • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

"Sonofagun" is right Larry. Really wanted to use one of mine but that's just my luck. Got a great deal on the jig but have to buy a router.
          Loring,
          Thanks for the info on the adapters. If I go Bosch that makes it easy. Pc is still in the running. Will have to go by Lowes and play a bit. They make it a pain with all the routers tied down but should be able to get a good enough feel.
          Jim,
          Feel sure I'll end up with a two base system but had really hoped to save some $'s right now and get something for the jig then later get a two based system for handheld use. After looking at prices it really doesn't pay to get a single base router. Just a bit more and you have the convenience of two or three.
          Have found a used PC 7529 VS Plunge Router for around $75.00. Would this do the job? Another $100 and I could have the bosch. To many decisions. May just borrow a friends till I can find that super deal.
          Thanks for all the info and suggestions.
          Steve
          It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.

Comment

• frumper64
            Established Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Garland, Tx, USA.

Why only a 1/2" shank?

OK - time to admit my ignorance. Why would the jig care what size shank the bit has as long as it is the correct profile and the bushing is the right size?
            Jim
            64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Jim: The jig doesn't care. But with this jig, the needed bits and bushings are included (yes! that's a nice little bonus), and the bits are an unusual size that are hard to find.

Steve: If it helps your decision, through the end of April P-C is offering a $20 rebate on the 690LR (fixed-base only), and a $30 rebate on the 694VK two-base kit. That said, when you make that trip to Lowe's to fondle routers, be sure to check out the DeWalt 618 kit. I don't own one but I've looked them over carefully a couple-few times ... like all routers they have a few little idiosyncracies that I don't particularly like, but if I were shopping for a two-base kit, this one would be on my short list.
              Last edited by LarryG; 02-20-2006, 03:54 PM.
              Larry

Comment

• jarhead
                • May 2004
                • Boynton Beach, FL.

Originally posted by LarryG
                You could, however, buy an aftermarket subbase if the 1617 is the router you decide to buy. A universal model will cost $20-25, or you can get one from Pat Warner for $18.
                I bought a universal router base from Woodcraft and really like it.
                Last edited by jarhead; 02-21-2006, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• frumper64
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Garland, Tx, USA.

Thanks

Thanks Larry - that makes sense. I hadn't realized the bits and bushings were included.
                  Jim
                  64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

Working...