X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlanWS
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Shorewood, WI.

I like zootroy's approach, except that with my uneven floors I like the adjusting foot to contact the floor, not the wheel. That way I can level the machine anywhere and it stays put. I use a cordless driver to raise the feet, and to adjust them quickly in a new spot.
    Alan

Comment

• lcm1947
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Austin, Texas
      • BT 3100-1

Originally posted by zootroy
      60.00 seems like a lot of money for hardware. I made a mobile base for my ridgid jointer a couple of weeks ago.

Get 4 casters, I don't bother with the locking casters as they don't really prohibit movement. Make a torsion box from 2x4s and 3/4" ply. Attach casters. For braking, attach a piece of dowel to a length of allthread. Put a rubber foot on the end of the dowel and run the allthread through a t-nut on the base. Finally, attach a star knob to the top of the allthread and you have a break. I've used this for my jointer, bandsaw, and drill press. cost is ~25.00.

You couldn't post a picture of that could you? I have been trying to figure out some way to stop my bench top tools that I have on torsion boxes from moving and haven't ever come up with anything.
      May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• zootroy
        Established Member
        • Oct 2005
        • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

Here's a pic of the mobile base for my drill press. I choose to use three caster for the drill press and band saw, but I used four for the jointer. I hope that you can see the brake setup from the pics. I'll try to describe it in more detail:

Star knob attached to allthread with loctite (red metal glue at Lowe's HD).
        Allthread goes through a t-nut that is inserted into the bottom of the base.
        Allthread passes through a lock nut, a piece of dowel, another lock nut wich is counter sunk into the bottom of the dowel (insert washers as needed), and finally, slip on a rubber foot.

This setup costs under $20.
        Attached Files

Comment

• lcm1947
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Austin, Texas
          • BT 3100-1

Thanks so much zootroy. Excellent I got it. Pretty neat idea you got there so I'll borrow it if you don't mind?
          May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

Working...