• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JTimmons
    • Feb 2005
    • Denver, CO.
    • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Rigid 6" Jointer

Anyone got any input on it? Is it any good?
    "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
    -- Johnny Carson
  • rickd
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
    • Ryobi BT3100

i've had the ridgid jointer for about 2 years and it's been great! It was dead-on accurate out of the box and I haven't had to do anything to it since(except change blades). it is solid as a rock and easy to setup with great instructions. i highly recommend it.
    rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• final_t
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003

Same here. Get the link belt for it, and make sure you put the motor mount bolts in the proper direction!

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Ditto on the jointer quality. Ditto on the motor mount bolts - DOH!
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• Red88chevy
          Established Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Midland, Texas.

I'm very pleased with the Ridgid Jointer. I wanted something different than just what was available at HD/Lowes, but when looking at features and cost I couldn't find anything close to it. Haven't added link belt and have not had any problem with vibration. Only thing I did was paint the orange base with gray spray paint, got tired at looking at all that burnt orange! Since you are in Oklahoma you can probably understand!

Comment

• JTimmons
            • Feb 2005
            • Denver, CO.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, kind of wondering though one of my local stores that usually go to has pulled it off the floor. Wonder if they are doing away with it.

quote:Originally posted by Red88chevy

got tired at looking at all that burnt orange! Since you are in Oklahoma you can probably understand!
            Let me guess an Aggie fan?

Nope, don't understand. Texan through and through, just moved to Oklahoma for work. It's pretty nice up here don't get me wrong, but if they ever started making power tools in Crimson I'd have to spray them gray too.

HOOK'EM HORNS!!!
            "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
            -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • SC, USA.

I bought one a couple of years ago and have not had any complaints with it. I am using the belt that came with it and I don't have any problems with vibration.
              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Clemson, SC, USA
                • Rigid TS3650

Never a problem with mine.
                Ken Weaver
                Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Exactly what rickd and Red88Chevy said -- except I've only had mine about 18 months, and it's still orange.
                  Larry

Comment

• quesne
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2005

quote:Originally posted by JTimmons

I've had mine only a few months, but I must say I'm impressed with the quality. Everything about the machine is a step above what I've seen in the price range.

The first one I brought home had an infeed table alignment problem, so I took it back and they gave me another one. A big advantage of buying at HD! The second one was picture perfect out of the box.

Comment

• JTimmons
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Denver, CO.

quote:Originally posted by quesne

I've had mine only a few months, but I must say I'm impressed with the quality. Everything about the machine is a step above what I've seen in the price range.

The first one I brought home had an infeed table alignment problem, so I took it back and they gave me another one. A big advantage of buying at HD! The second one was picture perfect out of the box.
                      I know what you mean about the price range, Lowes carries a 6" Delta and forgive me for saying it, but it looks like junk. I'd dish out $499 for the Rikon at Woodcraft before buying the Delta at Lowes. I have been eye ballin the Rigid for a while now. Thanks again for the feedback everyone, I'll be making a trip to HD in the morning.
                      -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• Red88chevy
                        Established Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Midland, Texas.

JT,

Good guess, you were absolutely right! Enjoy your Championship

Comment

• Shipwreck
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2005

I don't think I have seen a negative post about this Jointer on any forum. Everyone seems pleased with theirs. I bought a craftsman last year, but was looking seriously at the Rigid also.

Comment

• JTimmons
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Denver, CO.

quote:Originally posted by Red88chevy

JT,

Good guess, you were absolutely right! Enjoy your Championship
                            Thanks! Look at this way USC got knocked off that high horse the were on, he he he!!!!! That's what I like the best. Who's your daddy? BIG 12 BABY!!!!
                            -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

quote:Originally posted by quesne

I know what you mean about the price range, Lowes carries a 6" Delta and forgive me for saying it, but it looks like junk. I'd dish out $499 for the Rikon at Woodcraft before buying the Delta at Lowes. I have been eye ballin the Rigid for a while now. Thanks again for the feedback everyone, I'll be making a trip to HD in the morning.
                              The Delta JT-360 has several disadvantages compared to the Ridgid, and no advantages that I know of other than name recognition. I'll stop short of calling it junk, because it seems capable and people who own it seem to get good results with it, but it's definitely not as robust. Delta's 37-195/37-275X models are very good but are $500-$600 regularly. The Sears has the advantage of the enclosed base and the new model has stem mounted switch, but the fence support isn't as good as the Ridgid's IMO....much more like the Delta JT-360's. The Grizzly, Sunhill, Bridgewood, and Yorkcraft are all very good (although the BW gets pricey), but are mail order only so there's no local convenience. I think the Ridgid's beds are an inch or so shorter than many of the others and the machine might be a bit lower to the ground if that's an issue for anyone...could also be an asset for short folks.
                              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...