X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Imadunatic
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Barryton, Mi, USA.

I ended up stealing the idea from fine woodworking.
    i just built it on a torsion box so it doesnt sag to the floor.

I absolutely love this drill press and table combo. Its much nicer then anything i used growing up.

Heres the link to the original post:

Kevin
    \"Run Varnish, Runnnnnn\"

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's some contradictory info in the manual:

WARNING
      Before any assembly of the chuck and arbor to the drill
      press head, clean all mating surfaces with a nonpetroleum
      based product; such as alcohol or lacquer
      thinner. Any oil or grease used in the packing of these
      parts must be removed otherwise the chuck may come
      loose during operation.

[down a few lines]

NOTE: Clean the taper with a non-alcohol based cleaner
      before inserting it into the arbor.
      So which is right? alcohol or non-alcohol?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Larry David
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2006
        • Maryland.

So I finally unpacked my new Hitach DP that I bought for $129 last week and I found the laser device that is mounted near the chuck is totally smashed into several pieces. The box did look like something bumped into that spot but it must have been one heck of an impact to doe that much damage. It looked like someone beat it with a sledge hammer, it was totally crushed.

I thought I may be able to get a new one from Hitachi and just fix it myself but what else could be wrong with the drill after taking a hit like that? I just packed it back up (I had only removed the base when I noticed the damage) and returned it to Lowes. They were all sold out and the DP is being discontinued but they found a store with 4 in stock and are bringing in one for me at the original price of $129.

Comment

• Never2old2start
          Established Member
          • Oct 2005
          • Orlando, Florida, USA.
          • BT3100

Larry- sorry to hear about the crushed lazer. Let us know when you finally get the new one home. Btw- it would be wise to get a friend to help you lift the head up and onto the tube and make sure the lazer isn't used to hold on to when lifting. It's awkward and extremely heavy as is the table. Also know that when cleaning the table that the edges are exrememly sharp too. Oh, where in Maryland do you call home?

~ Paul ~

Comment

• Workman
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006

Hitachi DP newbie

Yes, I am a newbie, although I've viewed the BT3K forums many times, and bought my BT3K, as well as my Grizzly bandsaw, etc. due to advice offered here. I guess I was one of many on the Hitachi DP - it took me 3 weeks and 10 bucks more (135) to get my new Hitachi. I was smiling all the way home (and still am) However, my DP now crowds into my 12 X 12 workshop/shed with a Grizzly bandsaw, BT3K, Planer, Workbench, etc., and it is absolutely critical that it be mobile (and stable). I haven't seen any replies to the earlier question about a furniture dolly for mobility. My question is, anybody have good ideas how to make this thing both mobile and stable (conventional or not).

Comment

• Larry David
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2006
              • Maryland.

I cut a square piece of 3/4" plywood at 27 3/4". Reinforced the back side of the plywood with a couple of 2x4's cut to 27 3/4". That sits nicely in a HTC like mobile base (Craftsman version) that I bought at Sears maxed out to a 28inch square. The top side of the plywood sits almost flush with the top edge of the rail of the mobile base. I then bolted the base of the DP to the plywood. I like it, it's stable and moves around easily. The base was on sale for $69 (I think it's back up to $79) and the wood was scrap.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm thinking about going seriously minimalist.
                I think the main tippiness of this device is right and left because the base is what only 10 inches wide and there's nearly 100 pounds up at the top.
                Front to back its much wider in the base.
                So 2, 24 inch 2x 4 running transversly under the base, bolted on by the
                two holes front, and two holes rear. And four swivel casters under the ends. It'll raise the DP up another 4" but its actually sitting about 3 inches lower than my old benchtop.
                Still thinking that the all-way swivel casters is OK because, as a "Press", all the working force is applied directly downward.

Why spend $70 on a base for a $100 DP?
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Larry David
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Maryland.

"Why spend $70 on a base for a $100 DP?"

(1) Because I want to be able to easily move the DP around. And...

(2) Because that's how much they cost.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

OK, Larry, Just a note:
                    No real criticism meant.
                    Been cruising the catalogs and stores for years. The HTC2000 base is also sold under the woodcraft label and the craftsman label with cosmetic differences. Big price differences. Some days you can catch the HTC2000 at Amazon for $45. some days the other guys have sales. Keep an eye out. I paid full price for the first, but not the last one! HTH.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Workman
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try the bolted 2X4s and castors first as I have them on hand. I also like the simplicity of this approach. I have found like new castors still attached to items in commercial trash bins (usually facing castor side up) - last find 3 inch swivel castors - plate mount. You know, one man's trash is another's treasure. With regard to mobile stands, Rockler also has occassional sales on theirs. Do you have any ideas for handy storage of chuck key, drills and DP paraphernalia? Or is that a different forum?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

the chuck key stores in the handy clip on the right hand side of the drill housing just above the feed hub. If you have the Hitachi.

I dunno about the other stuff yet... Some poeple have trays that clamp to the column and others have boxes and trays and drawers...
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• greencat
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Grand Haven Mi

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          OK, Larry, Just a note:
                          No real criticism meant.
                          Been cruising the catalogs and stores for years. The HTC2000 base is also sold under the woodcraft label and the craftsman label with cosmetic differences. Big price differences. Some days you can catch the HTC2000 at Amazon for $45. some days the other guys have sales. Keep an eye out. I paid full price for the first, but not the last one! HTH.
                          Just out of curiosity, Did you take the drill apart to mount the base?
                          Thanks again,
                          Mike

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have HTC2000's under other tools but not the Hotachi DP.
                            I said earlier I was going to po'boy it on this and try some transverse 2x4's and some all swivell casters.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Larry David
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2006
                              • Maryland.

$70 mobile base for my $129 Hitachi DP

My $129 DP on my $70 base:
                              Attached Files

Comment

• greencat
                                Established Member
                                • Dec 2005
                                • Grand Haven Mi

Originally posted by Larry David
                                My $129 DP on my $70 base:
                                Looks nice - Did you take the saw apart to bolt on the plywood?
                                Thanks again,
                                Mike

Comment

Working...