• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

Wynn Cartridge for HFDC?

I've had my DC for almost two years now. I bought a replacement felt bag from Grizzly when it was new and use a plastic bag on the bottom. My DC also includes a neutral vane.

The system does great at filtering but I find that once the felt bag developes a dust cake I can rap on the bag and clear it into the lower bag but when I turn it back on the cake immediately regenerates - this probably means the DC is doing it job. But, this reduces the flow and can't be remedied until I c/o the lower bag even though it's not close to being full.

I'm thinking of getting the Wynn Spun Bond Polyester cartridge filter but am I going to have the same problem? Or does the increased surface are help maintain flow between bag c/o's?

Thanks,

Mike
  • AlanWS
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Shorewood, WI.

I have one of the cheaper Wynn Env cartridge filters, and I'm happy with it but don't think it would help your problem. If anything, it is likely to be worse, since it's harder to get the dust out of the pleats than off a flexible felt surface.

I don't think a DC will work as well if it gets anywhere near full, since the space in the lower bag is needed to spin the dust around so it can settle down the sides. It becomes a lot less effective when the lower bag gets betond maybe 1/4 to 1/3 full.

If you want to be able to fill a bag completely before bothering with it, one solution might be to raise the DC, and make a longer cylinder between the DC and the bag. You would still have the working space above the bag of dust, and I suspect that you'd capture more dust before it got to the filters even compared to a close to empty bag now.
    Alan

Comment

• MBG
      • Apr 2003
      • Chicago, Illinois.
      • Craftsman 21829

I usually let the bag get between 1/3 to 1/2 full - maybe I should be changing it more often?

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by MBG

I've had my DC for almost two years now. I bought a replacement felt bag from Grizzly when it was new and use a plastic bag on the bottom. My DC also includes a neutral vane.

The system does great at filtering but I find that once the felt bag developes a dust cake I can rap on the bag and clear it into the lower bag but when I turn it back on the cake immediately regenerates - this probably means the DC is doing it job. But, this reduces the flow and can't be remedied until I c/o the lower bag even though it's not close to being full.

I'm thinking of getting the Wynn Spun Bond Polyester cartridge filter but am I going to have the same problem? Or does the increased surface are help maintain flow between bag c/o's?

Thanks,

Mike
        The cartridge filter has maybe 20 times the surface area of 2 bags, if you're using one bag it has 40 times the area and will not plug up so fast.

The DC canisters that mount to the top of DCs, sold by Grizz, Jet, and PSI usually have an additional handle that turns an internal arm that flps the inside edge of the pleat causing them to drop the fine dust off when its time to clean them. The Wynn units don't have this feature, you have to use a air blower.

Not sure of the effectiveness. I also hear the Wynn pleats are finer than the canisters; this is good and bad, more area but easier to plug up with chips.

I have the 2 HP HF DC with the Grizzly canister and a home-added neutral vane. I have cut with planer, jointer and TS and I do not see any chips being caught/plugging in the canister, they seem to be falling down. When i rotate the cleaning handle a fair pile of fine dust falls into the lower plastic bag, but no chips.

I'm still working on filling my first platic bag, now about 35-40% full, I was wondering if the efficiency will be affected by the fullness of the bag... So far it doen't seem to have an effect.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• r.palmer
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2005
          • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I got the Wynn poly wool canister, the slightly more costly not the paper one, less pleats, half the surface area, wider pleats, harder slicker surface, but only slightly less air flow, and filtering from tests by Wynn, it does not seem to collect as much of a coating of dust, so far, as any bag system I used, bag only 1/8 full, a neutral vane, the pleats are so wide, I have had an easy time cleaning it, but a good bit of dust drifts down into the bag if its from sanding, when I whack it with something. I expect it does lose some air flow when dirty, but I think the wider pleats out of this really tough hard material is a good thing. Yes, you need a compressor, or just a shop vac set to blower mode, to clean it really well. I went with Wynn based on the Pentz tests, not knowing much about the other systems out there, which I am sure are good enough. Thanks again, Loring for the neutral vane pictures, it does seem to spin those chips right to the bottom.

Raising the DC section, maybe a flange added to the extension, that clamps onto a short barrel with a bag inside it. Use a big regular trash bag. Nice idea Alan.

Comment

Working...