X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

I'm with you on that Mark. My servers sit on the shelf right here next to me. If one were to 'take a dump', it's only a matter of an hour or so after I discover a problem and another box can be up and running in it's place.

I just don't understand why some people can see the photo's -- and others cannot. Being slow I can understand as I don't really put very hot equipment up for the servers (except the main server), but getting time-outs just blows me away.

Stan 'color me confused' in Montana.
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by tfischer

OK now I'm baffled. Sam, could you weigh in on this?

I think the server backup issue has been addressed, so that should never be a problem again, right?

Also, I thought Sam added this capability for the sole reason that almost every archived post (before this capability was added) had broken picture links, and people requested that the pictures be kept with the posts, here on this server.

Am I really wrong in thinking that outside links aren't normally appopriate, because they'll eventually break?

Thanks,
      -Tim
      I think that the serve backup issues were discussed at great length, but I never heard what was implemented.

I post most all my images/files in my ISP's personal server pages which I believe gives me 300 MB. I think Sam's limit is 10 MB per person.

There's reasons why each sol'n (BT3central serving the pics or your own ISP) is better or worse.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Black wallnut

With me I don't see that as an issue as I intend for my site to exist as long as I do and I'm still quite young and in reasonable health. Plus once a picture is uploaded I never remove it unless to take a better picture of the same exact thing.
        In that case, and if you have your own domain name (vs a generic comcast, AOL, or whatever) I think that's a fine alternative. My real problems are people who use their ISP's space. Whenever you change ISP's, or in some cases, when the ISP changes it's name, all the links will break. If you have your own domain, of course, you can take it with you to any ISP...

-Tim

Comment

• Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Ray, Larry, anyone else who was having problems getting to the pictures.

Could you try it one more time and let me know the results. I'm going to be pretty burnt if a simple piece of rope fixes the problem.
          From the NW corner of Montana.
          http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I am not having trouble from Japan. It opens instantly for me.

But on another note, CNN and CNNSI has been a pain to open for a month - for me and my computer. They open fine on LOML's computer with identical set up as mine. Cleared the cache and same problem. Certain sites do this for certain computers and there is not logical explanation.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• RayintheUK
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Stan,

Sorry to report, I still get a timeout error.

Ray.
              Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...