• Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Why are some topic's wider then others

I just started noticing that some posts are wider than others. Is this something I've done or is it something that can be fixed as I dislike having to scroll across the page to read the entire message. Call me lazy I guess.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • RickLab
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Plano, TX, USA.

It's usually because someone has posted a large picture or a long link in the thread.

Comment

• mmcduffie
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Des Moines, Washington.
      • BT3000

Also, could be that some folks are selecting a larger screen size in the drop down list at the top of the new topic box.

Michael

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

Thanks for the replies. Then it's nothing I accidently did. Thought maybe it was me. That's fine if somebody else likes or needs it that way.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by lcm1947

Thanks for the replies. Then it's nothing I accidently did. Thought maybe it was me. That's fine if somebody else likes or needs it that way.
          most often either large pictures
          or really long web address (URL addresses beginning with HTTP
          that are machine generated often by retail sites pointing at catalog pages found by search engines.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Woodnut
            • Sep 2003
            • Modesto, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN

quote:Originally posted by lcm1947

most often either large pictures
            or really long web address (URL addresses beginning with HTTP
            that are machine generated often by retail sites pointing at catalog pages found by search engines.
            For those hoping/desiring to avoid the second cause you can use the {URL} tag.

You can turn long links into highlighted words by doing the following:
            Please note: when using this tag, use the square brackets [].
            I need to type them with the curly ones {} to avoid confusing the forum software right now.

Use the Opening tag {URL}.
            However, right after the "L" put an = sign, then the long link within quotes, then the final "]".
            Type whatever word or phrase you choose to "mean" the link you have posted and finish it off with a {/URL} tag.

It will type like this:
            {URL="http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00 922211000"}Craftsman's BT3000 copy of the miter slot table{/URL}

But it will look like this:
            Sears had their own version. Here is [u]Craftsman's BT3000 copy of the miter slot table.</u>

Two last things.

1) Notice that the forum software automatically seperated the text above (product.do?) and (BV_UseB...)? This will cause a problem if you are just pasting in a complete, complex URL into a message. It won't work right, because as far as your browser is concerned, the URL is incomplete. Using the Forum's URL tag avoids this and allows the long URLs to work, and

2) If you are replying with either the Quote button or Reply to Topic link you get a convenient URL button above your message. (It looks like an Earth on a page. It's right above the "Size" drop box)
            This button will place the URL tags around any text you have highlighted (you just have to add the = and "link" values...)

Look below this post, I am including an actual working copy of the example simulated above.
            Woodnut
            "I should know better, but where's the fun in that?!"

Comment

• Woodnut
              • Sep 2003
              • Modesto, CA, USA.
              • BT3000

It will type like this:
              {URL="http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00 922211000"}Craftsman's BT3000 copy of the miter slot table{/URL}

But it will look like this:
              Sears had their own version. Here is Craftsman's BT3000 copy of the miter slot table
              Woodnut
              "I should know better, but where's the fun in that?!"

Comment

Working...