marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think the current limit is like 12 choices...
    I have posted quite a few polls. Here's my observations:
    1. If there was one thing I'd fix is to set the default poll expiration to 14 days. Presently it defaults to unlimited I think, and causes several problems, stale responses and secondly ( a bug I think) it pops the thread up with new replies, the poll is updated with the response but the last poster is tagged as the responder and causes them to say what, I didn't post....
    2. You need to consider the poll choices carefully, its easy to omit categories and a lot of following posts said, my case isn't there... The SW wisely does not let you change the poll once started because that could skew the results. I find it wise to sit down beforehand and make a list of possible choices and add to it for a few hours or a day before posting... most people post on a whim and the choices are incomplete.
    3. you have to chose multiple responses allowed when creating the poll, as well as show names.
    4. 12 choices is probably adequate, if you have more you need to combine some.
    5. it would be nice to read the directions/conditions/assumptions for the poll prior to taking the poll, but the poll is always presented first, then the post that accompanies it after you take the poll.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

This is not a serious poll btw.
      1. I'll look into default expiration it may be a setting
      2. the last updated time is a setting and the default is to show the poll as having been upadated when either a new vote is cast or the thread gets a reply.
      3. agree with your #2,3,4, and 5

#5 is a learning curve issue. folks should scroll down and read the first post prior to voting.
      FWIW I can edit polls after they are posted however I cannot change them to multiple choice, which is strange because I can change votes, add and subtract options as well as edit them. I do not use this power because it really makes the poll worthless with skewed results. So the take home message here is if you post a poll and then think oh my I wish I would have done x when you did y pm me and we can strip the poll off and allow you to fix it with a new poll.
      Last edited by Black wallnut; 04-16-2014, 03:08 PM.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

"he last updated time is a setting and the default is to show the poll as having been upadated when either a new vote is cast or the thread gets a reply."

this causes a lot of confusion. Technically it shows an update and the indication is that the last poster made a new post. Actually someone else made an anonymous poll vote but the indication is that the last poster made a new post and the date is updated but the name is not.

People keep complaining "I didn't make a post but the new post list shows I did"... its always on a poll, and someone voted many months after the poll was started.

I think it would be better not to show a poll update when a new vote is cast, only is a new post is made. If that's an option. Of course, just closing the poll after some short period of time would be just as good, I imagine.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-17-2014, 12:32 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Fixed it for you.

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

thanks. Haven't tried it yet. Need to come up with a new poll(s). I think age distribution and demographics.

OK tried it
            Multiple works as it always has
            # choices may has increased to 15, I think it was always 12 before, that's OK
            Close poll after ____ days - does not offer a default (recommend 14 days) leaves it blank which means probably 0 which makes it stay open forever... bad.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-17-2014, 08:00 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

I'm not able to change the default setting. I think we could create a rule that any pollls must sunset after 14 days and close as needed......... However that would require work and buy in from the membership. FWIW I often have closed polls after I have felt they have run their course. For a while they were a magnet for spammers.... fwiw.

©

Comment

Working...