• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

posting polls

Polls can be a fun feature of the forum.
    Creating a good poll is harder than it looks.
    Basically once set, you cannot change the poll selections - there's an obvious reason for this - you don't want to be able to change selections once people have voted for it. THe integrity of the entire poll is questionable if you can change selections after it starts. So even slight edits are out.

Therefore, rule no. one is that you must carefully sit down before starting a poll and list out all the options to make sure they are all inclusive. nothing is more offputting to a poll taker than to not find his situation covered, even if its just "other".

Second rule of polling is to limit the time. I see polls open for a whole year that keep changing. An unfortunate side effect of a long open poll in VBulletin is that someone voting on an old poll pops the thread to the top of the new posts but the poster is listed not as the voter but the last person who posted a reply. The default is apparently a year. I suggest a poll should be kept open no more than 2 weeks. Most regulars check in within that time and once closed, your data results stay the same, you don't get stale votes that change the values. The poll and all the comments will still be available, even more replies can be added, just the poll itself will be closed.

Other helpful things are the options for allowing multiple choices and identifying the voters and their choices. Multiple choices are appropriate for the right kind of data but some polls obviously should only allow one vote per person. e.g which brands of power tools do you own should be multiple choices allowed. What is you favorite brand of power tool should just be single choice.

Identifying voters and their choices usually should be off - I think poll takers should be anonymous.

Polls can be fun! Use them wisely, my son.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-09-2013, 08:51 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Therefore, rule no. one is that you must carefully sit down before starting a poll and list out all the options to make sure they are all inclusive. nothing is more offputting to a poll taker than to not find his situation covered, even if its just "other".

Other helpful things are the options for allowing multiple choices and identifying the voters and their choices. Multiple choices are appropriate for the right kind of data but some polls obviously should only allow one vote per person. e.g which brands of power tools do you own should be multiple choices allowed. What is you favorite brand of power tool should just be single choice.
    The options do allow for a member to select more than one if more than one applies. If only one is allowed, that member may not represent his vote according to his/her conditions. As an example, In my poll in this thread, there were 12 choices. Sweensdv checked 11 out of 12. If only one was allowed, he may not have voted at all. Or, that more than one applied.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    Identifying voters and their choices usually should be off - I think poll takers should be anonymous.
    Having the voters appear as how they voted, might add to "getting to know" the members. I may be wrong.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

The anonymity factor on polls depends on the material, in my opinion. In my last poll I thought it wise to make it a private poll. For polls on methods of technique, it would benefit readers to know who uses those method so that they can search their history for examples.

Agreed on poll choices (thinking them out). But one must not forget, the options will always be subject to the authors bias, frame of mind, etc. and will never be all encompassing.

I noticed that this "framework" was posted not long after my last poll. Coincidence? It seem's that after as many views, comments and votes that it was clear enough to most. If I missed something Loring, let me know.
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

no one in particular. Subject topics - various poll points - had been on my mind on and off for a while but had never posted on it.

Based upon my experience and on polls I've witnessed here.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-13-2013, 04:25 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...