• Show
Clear All
  • David Dundas
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2008
    • Caboolture, Queensland, Australia
    • Jet 10"

Maximum size of PDF files

Would it be possible to increase the maximum size of PDF files that can be posted on the Forum? It seems disproportionate that JPEG files can be 9.5 Mb, but PDF files can be only 19.5 kb. On the Australian Forum, the maximum allowable size for PDF files is nearly 400 kb, which allows articles to be posted in one or two parts. To post an 800 kb article on this forum would require it to be split into over 40 parts, which is obviously impractical.

David Dundas
    Free downloads of articles and plans of jigs and funiture at my blog: http://rockerswoodwork.blogspot.com/
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

David this type of decision has to be made by the forum's owner, Sam Conder. Feel free to send him a request via email or PM.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by David Dundas
      ... It seems disproportionate that JPEG files can be 9.5 Mb, but PDF files can be only 19.5 kb....
      David Dundas
      That has also seemed odd to me, too. Perhaps the intention was to have us upload longer articles (as PDF files) to the articles section rather than as attachments to posts. Just guessing as to intentions.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        That has also seemed odd to me, too. Perhaps the intention was to have us upload longer articles (as PDF files) to the articles section rather than as attachments to posts. Just guessing as to intentions.
        ...assuming David means MB and not Mb, a 9.5MB Jpeg seems a bit excessive, too. That's a really really big image.
        Last edited by Alex Franke; 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM. Reason: Clarified
        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I believe the VBulletin default for most attachement sizes is 20000 bytes (~19.5 kb). It probably never got adjusted.
          Erik

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

This would be a useful change to make as I have had situiations where I would have posted a PDF but could not. I have converted them to JPEGs but it doesnt work really well.
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

Working...