• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Last post

Why is it sometimes I click on the arrow under the column "last Post" and it takes me to the very last post in a thread, but other times I click on the same arrow and it takes me to the very first post?

I don't seem to be able to figure out what the predictability of this is.
    Obviously if I wanted to go to the first post of the thread, I'd just click on the title.

I'm using mostly IE6 and IE7 and sometimes NS8.1 but i don't think its the fault of the browser.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

It always works as expected for me. IE7.

JR
    JR

Comment

• Stormbringer
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Floral Park, NY
      • Bosch 4000

Loring,

I use only IE6 and have experienced the same situation, but not nearly as much as you seem to be. I think it has to do with the forum software "remembering" the threads you've visited. For example, I can log in and it'll say 112 new posts. i can click that and see all the new posts and thread, view what I want, respond, etc... Log out. Log back in and it'll still say that I have 112 new posts. Other times, if I wait considerably longer, it'll say 19 new posts. (Numbers are speculative of course)

It can be a tad annoying but hey, if that's the worst thing I experience for the day, I'm doing allright

Just my $02.

Greg

Comment

• Thom2
        Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
        • Jan 2003
        • Stevens, PA, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

I haven't played with this much ... but it may be taking you to the last post read??? If it's a new post, then it'd go to the first post ... if it's an existing thread, then it'd take you to the last post that you actually read?

beyond that ... I haven't a frakkin' clue
        If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
        **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• JTimmons
          • Feb 2005
          • Denver, CO.
          • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

I have noticed this at both work and home. When clicking on the arrows on the home page it takes me to the very first post of the thread.

When in a specific forum like Around the Coffee Pot and I click on the arrow of a thread it will take me to the very last post as it should. I am using IE 6 here at work and both IE6 & 7 at home.
          "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
          -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Primarily using a Mac and OS X, I notice some quirks like that occasionally. What usually happens when I click on Last Post, it usually takes me to first post for about half a second (or occasionally 2 seconds) and then goes to the last post.

If I am at a place with slow internet or heavy traffic, it will wait a few seconds, take me to the first post and then sometimes it takes several seconds to 10 or 15 seconds before it jumps to the end. I notice that the blue bar indicator is only partially through when on the first post, but the indicator goes away when the last post is up.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Thom2
              I haven't played with this much ... but it may be taking you to the last post read??? If it's a new post, then it'd go to the first post ... if it's an existing thread, then it'd take you to the last post that you actually read?

beyond that ... I haven't a frakkin' clue
              No, even on long threads I've been reading for days and read maybe 35 of the 36 posts, it sometimes takes me to the first post even though I want it to take me to the last post.

I'm begining to think it may have something to do with cookies, which I think the forum stores on my computer to tell it what the last post read was. If I change computers (and I regularly use four or five computers in a day to browse BT3Central) that may be the confusing factor.

But the help pop up does say go to last post, I assume that means the very last post, not the Post after the last post I read which would really be the next unread post (picking on semantics a little). Taking me to the "last post" would of course make the most sense and not require cookie memory.

Lest you think I'm critical I specify software for a living and telling the programmers what concise labels to put on function buttons so its clear and unambiguous what will happen is important to me.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-04-2007, 11:47 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Thom2
                Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                • Jan 2003
                • Stevens, PA, USA.
                • Craftsman 22124

In that case, it could take a while to load the thread and all required images etc before it jumps to the last post.

I'm just throwing out ideas, I personally don't use the function
                If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Thom2
                  In that case, it could take a while to load the thread and all required images etc before it jumps to the last post.

I'm just throwing out ideas, I personally don't use the function
                  When it works right, it goes right to the last page, takes a few seconds, then jumps to the last post.

When it doesn't work right, it goes to the first post on the first page and sits there.
                  Attached Files
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I have had this puzzling me for some time and have come to believe there's some javascript involved that's not fully baked. I use Firefox, Avant and Safari, and have not seen this being consistent anywhere.

But then, this forum software can't even search for an exact phrase, which goes to show it has some maturing to do .
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

It may be a cookie or browser bug. I mostly use Firefox now and it takes me to my last unread post in a particular thread. Sometimes when I was having ISP trouble, it would take me to the first post on the last page and sit there awhile, then when all was loaded, it would jump down to the last unread post.
                      Lee

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

In the last half-hour, experimented a bit :

Firefox, the button works fine - takes me to the very last post, irrespective of whether i had visited the thread before or not. (so that answers the semantics of the 'last post' )

Avant (which is IE6 with a wrapper), did not work at all - just the first post of each thread. I have seen it work before (sometimes), maybe at work, but not just now.

So, maybe it works more consistently with FF? Not that I can ratify that myself.
                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• softop41
                          Established Member
                          • Jul 2004
                          • Plainfield, IL, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

I use IE7 and it ALWAYS takes me to the first post in a thread, period!
                          Jerry
                          Jerry
                          Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Redford MI.
                            • Craftsman 21829

Firefox 2.0.0.6 running on Linux here. The button takes me to the first post in the thread.

Comment

• sweensdv
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • WI
                              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Possibly the first post has been edited by the OP since the last poster added his or hers post to the thread making the edited post the last post that was opened. Did that make any sense?

Comment

Working...