• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Attaching Images: Lemme get this straight

Say I've already uploaded some images to BT3Central for a previous post (as opposed to just posting links). The images still reside on BT3Central, and now I want to include them in another post.

Is this not possible? Or am I missing something? I don't see an easy way to do it, and it looks like my several attempts have failed, at least when I preview the post.

I read the "Sticky" note, but I wasn't sure that this case was explicitly covered.

Regards,
    Tom
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I haven't been able to.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I believe it was "to be looked at" - been driving me crazy since the new forum started
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• uglystick
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Garland, TX, USA
        • Ridgid R4511 Granite top

I got this from the vBulletin forum regarding uploaded images in other posts:

They only show up as inline thumbnails on the original post. When you reference from other posts, it will be a link only.
        For this reason?
        This is done to save resources because each call to an attachment from an outside thread would require an extra query. With a lot of posts per page the number of extra queries would add up quickly so they decided to place a link to them instead.
        -Kendall

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN

Originally posted by uglystick
          I got this from the vBulletin forum regarding uploaded images in other posts....
          Thanks for shining a little more light on the issue, Kendall, but I'm afraid I'm still not getting it.

What I can't figure out is why I can only upload an image to the BT3Central server while posting, and attach the image to just that post. As long as the image is residing on the BT3Central server, what extra resources does it take to make another reference to that picture in another post?

It seems like the real resource waste is having to upload the same picture each time you want to include it in another post. Now, there are multiple instances of the same picture on the server. At least that's how I'm currently solving the problem....

I can't help but think I'm missing something here. Anyone who thinks they can pound some sense into my head, don't hesitate to jump in.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Tom Miller
            I can't help but think I'm missing something here. Anyone who thinks they can pound some sense into my head, don't hesitate to jump in.
            Lessee, where'd I put my big hammer ...???

I don't think you're missing anything. It appears to me -- and what follows is the best way I know how to describe it -- is that uploaded images are being stored "inline" with the thread itself, rather than going to a central "library" (like we had under the old forum software) where they are available for independent viewing, and/or attachment to some other msg. IOW, once you upload an image, it's for all intents and purposes inaccessible for any further use. It's there, because people can see it in the original post (and ONLY in the original post), but you can't get at it, can't use it again.

Seems brain-dead, I know, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works.

Another forum I frequent uses vBulletin and works exactly the same way, as far as I've ever been able to figure out.
            Larry

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

This isn't a slam by any means. I believe it's a configuration thing, or the lack of an add-on. Another forum I visit, ncwoodworker.net, uses VBulletin, but has an image gallery for members to store their images in. From there they can be linked to at will.
              And, as Larry says, other VBulletin sites are as BT3.
              ken

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN

Originally posted by LarryG
                Seems brain-dead, I know, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works.
                At this point, I'm just trying to make certain it's not me that's brain-dead. I thought there might be an easy way to reference previously posted pictures, but I guess not....

Thanks for the explanations, guys. And Larry, thanks for going easy on the hammer!

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

Working...