• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Search limitations on new forum software

The threads on HF 2HP DCs are legendary in their length and detail.
    But they are now almost impossible to find.

Why? because the new Search has some interesting limitations.
    When you do a Search on HF 2HP DC assembly the little fine print says
    "HF, 2HP and DC are ignored because they are too common or too short".

Needless to say only a few applicable hits occurred and lots of extraneous "assembly" of everything else were tagged and had to be sorted thru. With 4 very specific search terms I should have gotten modest number of very close-matching results.

Perhaps that (short words) might be a problem with normal discussion groups but us with our common acronyms in very wide use won't be able to find topics dealing with things like BS, TS, SMT CMS etc.

I think the elimination of short words should be limited to words like
    to, for, the, of, is, etc. or the search function will be severely limited and we will lose a lot of good posts.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Xamu
    Established Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Chicagoland, USA.

Hi Loring,
    I feel your pain, man. From what I know about this software, it builds an index of virtually every word in every post - dirty words can be filtered before indexing. Makes searching pretty fast.

Since 3 letter "words" are not typically that useful, the index only starts at (I believe) 4 letter words. That said, the software does not make a distinction between three letter "words" and three letter "acronyms."

Short of modifying the actual forum software there's not a whole lot I think Sam can do about it. And if he did, I believe the site would take a performance hit and the table with the index would be massive.
    TTFN,
    JP
    Good woodworking comes from experience. Experience comes from bad woodworking.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

Loring, I did a little testing on SawMill Creek which uses the same software and find the same isues.
      Worse maybe. In their General Woodworking forum there is a recent thread which contains "HD 10% Weekend". An Advanced search returns only one result, Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....
      The search threw out the HD and 10% and only queried on Weekend.
      Hopefully there is a solution.
      Ken

Just saw this on the vBullitin site, http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...in+your+search
      Last edited by Ken Massingale; 03-05-2006, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• Sam Conder
        Woodworker Once More
        • Dec 2002
        • Midway, KY
        • Delta 36-725T2

Yeah, it would bloat the DB badly. We're gonna have to live with this limit.
        Sam Conder
        BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Sam Conder
          To clarify Sam, I don't have a problem with this. Overall vBulletin is a vast improvement. IMO users will have to be educated and acclimate to not using abbreviations or live with the results, or lack of.

A thought, is there Admin capability to do a replace in the database? Replace HD with Home Depot, HF with Harbor Freight, DC with dust collector?
          ken

Comment

• Sam Conder
            Woodworker Once More
            • Dec 2002
            • Midway, KY
            • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
            To clarify Sam, I don't have a problem with this. Overall vBulletin is a vast improvement. IMO users will have to be educated and acclimate to not using abbreviations or live with the results, or lack of.

A thought, is there Admin capability to do a replace in the database? Replace HD with Home Depot, HF with Harbor Freight, DC with dust collector?
            ken
            Hehehe... I am a bit selective on global find and replace actions since the Craftsman Torque Wrench debacle.
            Sam Conder

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Sam Conder
              I really think it severely limits the usefulness of searches. Wish there was some way around it. I have always felt the post base is a rich resource. With a good search tool it can be exploited rapidly in answer to someones question even if they fail to search themselves. Knowing a few key words from memory- that such a post exists - can help a lot.
              But if the search tool won't take key words we commonly use, then
              it'll be like looking at 100 shoe boxes filled with index cards and no sort order... I think the thread dates have been monkeyed with, at that, in the DB rebuild.

One big problem is, you don't even notice the small print that keywords were ignored. At least I didn't until I could not understand the search results relevance to the search terms. I tried again and then saw it. The number of people who searched before and said they couldn't find anything will be tripled.

I sure hope something comes to you. I sure don't like living with it.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Just another vote that I hope we can find a workaround. We use more 2- and 3-letter acronyms around here than many forums, with all the tool and store abbreviations and the like...

Much of that now becomes unsearchable...

Is there possibly a way to have a list of allowable 2- and 3-letter terms that do get indexed? That would still screen out the myriad of other short words and not cause too much bloat...

Just a thought,
                -Tim

Comment

• Stormbringer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Floral Park, NY
                  • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  One big problem is, you don't even notice the small print that keywords were ignored. At least I didn't until I could not understand the search results relevance to the search terms. I tried again and then saw it.
                  Loring, don't feel bad. I took me about eight attempts before I saw the fine print that "Jet" was too short.

Not all two or three words that we would search for are acronyms. here's my example.

I know , since I remember reading it awhile back, that someone posted a review on the new "Jet bar clamps". Entering that returns a gazillion threads since "Jet" and "Bar" are too short to be included in the search. You can only imagine how many hits came back with the word "clamp" associated with it.

So, if at all possible, here's another vote for refining the search capabilities. If the site had to go down for a day or two, I could live with that.

Thank you,
                  Greg

Comment

• dlminehart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • San Jose, CA, USA.

I agree that the search problem is a serious one. The best work around I've been able to come up with is to not bother using the one within vBulletin. Instead, use google's. If you want to look for HF DC, for instance, enter the following into a google search:

site:www.bt3central.com HF DC

Give it a try. I'd think that, if google can index and quickly search the entire worldwide web, vBulletin could index and search a forum!
                    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

Great tip, Dave! That's definitely the workaround we needed.

I don't know about comparing vBulletin to Google like that, though. Google's got the special sauce, man! Expecting vBulletin to compare is a bit much to ask.

JR
                      JR

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Liberty, SC, USA.
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by dlminehart
                        I agree that the search problem is a serious one. The best work around I've been able to come up with is to not bother using the one within vBulletin. Instead, use google's. If you want to look for HF DC, for instance, enter the following into a google search:

site:www.bt3central.com HF DC

Give it a try. I'd think that, if google can index and quickly search the entire worldwide web, vBulletin could index and search a forum!
                        -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                        It's not that vBulletin can't do the indexing, it's the gloated database that would result. This 'feature' is discussed in many threads in the official vBulletin forum.
                        Ken

Comment

• Sam Conder
                          Woodworker Once More
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Midway, KY
                          • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                          It's not that vBulletin can't do the indexing, it's the gloated database that would result. This 'feature' is discussed in many threads in the official vBulletin forum.
                          Ken
                          Exactly. Making this comparison is not valid because BT3Central has one small server running both the web server and the SQL database server. It is a small Pentium 4 1.7GHz with 1gb of RAM. I have no idea what Google has but I would say there are literally hundreds if not thousands of servers involved.
                          Sam Conder

Comment

• uglystick
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • Garland, TX, USA
                            • Ridgid R4511 Granite top

Sam,

There are ways to add the Google search directly on the site (called Google Free?)

There's an example here on the left side of the page.

Just a thought! Trying to give people options...
                            -Kendall

Comment

• dlminehart
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • San Jose, CA, USA.

To follow up on Kendall's post, see http://www.google.com/searchcode.html for how to embed free google site search in one's own site.
                              - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...