• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dkhoward
    • Dec 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
    • bt3000

Dust Collection Forum

I was just wondering, since the topic of dust collection and DC systems seems to be an almost constant topic in one or another of the forums, if we don't need a dedicated forum to dust collections systems?

Just a thought
    Dennis K Howard
    www.geocities.com/dennishoward
    "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I won't say it's a bad idea. I will say, however, that I've participated elsewhere in which there were WAY too many forums, with pigeon-holing carried to an absurd degree, and people (especially newbies) became confused about where to put something. We've lately been seeing a fair amount of that here. Logic tells us that having more, specialized forums ought to be less confusing but in practice it often works just the opposite.

A side effect of the above is that you start getting a lot of Grumbly Gus msgs when stuff is posted in the wrong section. This does nothing but foul the air and turn an otherwise pleasant place into something less.

Hmmm, maybe I am saying it's a bad idea, after all. [:0]

Perhaps, when Sam is about to roll out the new software, there could be some fine-tuning of the forum names ... in this case, maybe we should have "Shop Design, Setup, and Dust Collection."
    Larry

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

What Larry said...
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I agree with larry, too.
        I had thought about suggesting an electrical issues forum and then a ...

but what happens is as larry suggested, and sometimes a forum will just go dead for lack of topics if you make it too specialized.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rickd
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
          • Ryobi BT3100

quote:Originally posted by dkhoward

I was just wondering, .........if we don't need a dedicated forum to dust collections systems?

Just a thought
          i agree with larry on this, especially the "pigeon-holing" that might result.

even right now it is sometimes questionable, to me anyway, as to what forum to post to(i.e. ducting size, distances, material, blast gates and dc system design) - i would probably post in the "shop layout and design forum".

However, whether to buy the HF, Grizzly or Delta DC machine - i would probably post in the "tools forum". so, adding a new forum for DC might just add to the confustion for some - including me.

i find the 'search' tool the best thing to use when i want to find out about topics i am looking for.

i think the suggestion though does help remind us to think about where we post new topics - so, thanks!!
          rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by rickd

i find the 'search' tool the best thing to use when i want to find out about topics i am looking for.

i think the suggestion though does help remind us to think about where we post new topics - so, thanks!!
            i always try to post a very descriptive topic title so that it will make searching much easier. The forum is a valuable resource but an unsearchable topic makes it almost inaccessible.

Some people try to be cute when they post topics - e.g. "My new toy" or "Weekend Project". ANOTHER GOOD ONE IS "SILLY QUESTION"

But if you think about it, if your new toy is a Delta bandsaw it'll be much easier to title it "New Toy - Delta Bandsaw" or "Weekend Project - Mailbox" or "Question about resawing"

Sure, you can search "Delta Bandsaw" in the text but you will get a lot of extraneous hits. Like text that says "I have a Delta scroll saw and want to buy a bandsaw someday." It's better searching in topics first.

So please use a search-friendly topic title for posts. Most of us do but it would help if we all did.

Incidentally if you start a thread and post a title you think later, could be better, you can always go and edit your post and change the title.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...