• Show
Clear All
  • hardihood1
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • wa, USA.
    • bt 3100

new forums???

alot of people in the forums like or love or hate harbor freight. has anyone(bt3central.com) ever thought of starting a discussions about harbor freight? were people could ask questions and give opinions...advise.
    measure once...cut twice!
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by hardihood1

alot of people in the forums like or love or hate harbor freight. has anyone(bt3central.com) ever thought of starting a discussions about harbor freight? were people could ask questions and give opinions...advise.
    Well, much of the "Bargain alerts" talk is about HF. I wouldn't be opposed to a new forum, but then would we need one for the BORG, lowes, etc as well?

-Tim

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I suppose you could do one called "Vendors" or similar, but since so many of the threads in all the other sections include suggestions for various tools from various vendors, there'd still be a lot of overlap.

But since Harbor Freight does get so much discussion, an FAQ that included a "Recommended" and "Maybe Recommended" and "Not Recommended" section on the various HF tools could definitely be worthwhile.

The new forum section I'd like to see would be on on shop layout and design. Right now, all the questions about space planning, wiring, dust collection, heating/cooling, etc. are scattered around in various sections, none of them entirely "appropriate."
      Larry

Comment

• hardihood1
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • wa, USA.
        • bt 3100

i dont think a thread for every thing is need like homedepot and lowes. i was just think that harbor freight is talked about alot in the bargen section and tools as well. just and idea...
        but i do like that idea about shop's and shop set up, that a great idea. i always like see'ing how other set their shop up and finding better ways to set mine up. or thing's i may not have thought about.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Agreed. An "Around the Shop" forum would fit the items that aren't quite projects and not quite tools either.

Around the shop would be for shop tips, shop questions, and jigs maybe.
          Then Projects would be for things you are making that were not destined for the shop and Tools would be for toys. I mean, tools.

While we're at it, If I post the my FAQ URL in "Getting Started" can Sam make it a sticky topic? Or is there a better way?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Sam Conder
            Woodworker Once More
            • Dec 2002
            • Midway, KY
            • Delta 36-725T2

I like the "Around the Shop" idea a lot. Someone remind me when I get back from vacation and I'll do it. As far as a Harbor Freight forum, I'll let someone else start HFCentral.com.

Sam Conder
            BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

No offense intended to Loring, but "Around The Shop" sounds too much like "Around The Coffee Pot" and to me doesn't really indicate what the section's focus would be.

That said, I'm not sure I have any better ideas for a name. [:I]

Ideas off the top of my head:

Shop Buildings And Layouts
              Building The Shop
              Shop Design
              Shop Setup
              Shop Design and Setup
              Planning A Shop
              Woodshop Design
              Workshop Design
              The Workshop Itself

(Hey, I said they were ideas. I didn't say they were good ideas.)
              Larry

Comment

• hardihood1
                Established Member
                • Jan 2004
                • wa, USA.
                • bt 3100

well the Hf idea may not have worked out but at least it spawned a great idea from LarryG about a workshop forum. i look forward to it![

Comment

• RayintheUK
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I think the shop idea is a good one - why not just "Shop Talk"?

Ray.
                  Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...