Clear All
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

Site support / Site Traffic / All that jazz

Friends,

This topic of site support is indeed a timely one, but possibly not one I was fully prepared to tackle at this time. I am certainly glad Hank brought it up, otherwise I would have procrastinated most likely until it was too late.

I consider BT3Central a hobby of mine, an extension of my woodworking really. Granted, woodworking was to be an escape from the computer world for me, but as any truly devoted computer geek would do, I still found a way to involve computers! [] I started this site out of pure selfishness, so that I could preserve for my future use the great ideas that others had in regards to the BT3000. Since the same requests for the same jigs kept popping up, I shared out my private collection of jig articles and so BT3Central was born. I suppose I am still partly selfish, or maybe just a protective parent, but I don't feel ready to hand over the "care and feeding" of BT3Central to anyone else at this time.

I feel, and others have mentioned it along the way in this discussion, that the reason BT3Central has been so successful is because it is different than any other woodworking related website. The difference is in the general attitude of helpfulness of the members, and the level of respect we all treat each other with. Some have posted that the nature of BT3Central is due to my method of moderating the forum, but I alone can take very little credit. It is easy for a person to lead by example, but it is far harder for people to take the lead and follow along. I am fortunate to be surrounded by such a fantastic supporting cast!

Now to the nuts and bolts. The plan of action that I am going to pursue includes the following:
    • I will begin actively searching for a new permanent home for BT3Central on a dedicated managed server. For simplicity sake, all sections of the site, other than those specified below will be hosted on that server.
    • I will start a “Donation Drive” with the goal of raising the full amount of hosting the site on the new dedicated server for one year. This will then be a yearly “telethon” that will kick off in on the first day of February every year. I will place a “fundraising thermometer” prominently on the site so as to communicate the progress of the fund raising.
    • I will begin development of a MOD to the Snitz forum that will allow the designation of certain members as “Patrons”, “Bronze Patrons”, “Silver Patrons”, “Gold Patrons”, and “Platinum Patrons”. At this time, these designations will be attained as per the total amount of money contributed to BT3Central PER YEAR. This designation will carry no other “perks” at this time, but that may change as ideas arise.
    • I will create a “BT3Central Wall of Fame” page that categorizes the patrons by their designation and prominently display it on the site.
    • I will actively begin soliciting companies to purchase advertising space on BT3Central.
    • I have already created an “off site” BT3Central Webmall that is currently referenced as http://www.bt3central.com/amazon. It is a bit “buggy” at the moment, but I will continue to tweak it as I find time. Though it appears to be part of the site, it is actually hosted by another company. All of the products found in this “webmall” will be fulfilled by Amazon.com. It utilizes the Amazon.com Web Services, thus paying a higher commission than a regular referral.
    • I will rewrite the Support page to be more explicit in the financial status of the site and of it’s ongoing financial needs. Additionally, I will explain all the possible ways of supporting the site more thoroughly and adjust my links so that it is easier to find.
    • Other duties as assigned.

Again, I appreciate all of the time, effort, and thought that you all have put into this matter and it has definitely helped me to make my decision. I am excited about what is about to happen with BT3Central and I am fortunate to be able to share in that excitement with so many wonderful and knowledgeable people. Thanks for all you do!

Sincerely,
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison
  • Scottydont
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Edmonds, WA, USA.
    • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Thanks Sam. I can speak for many members including myself who have expressed the "value" of this fine website, your efforts, and the community of it's members. I look forward to supporting it. I'm sure you will keep us posted.

Thanks again!
    Scott
    "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Thanks Sam. I didn' t mean to make more work for you, but I did see a slow down on the forum strictly due to the number of members and visitors. We all want to help in what ever way you need and we can.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JeffW
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
        • BT3100

As long as you lead I will follow. I am sure that many others will also. Your dedication to helping others is inspirational. I know that you wanted to slow down and spend more time with family and I hoipe that you are getting a chance to do some of that.

Please let me know what I can do to help. Financial support of course will be offered. It is well worth the time.

Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Sam, like many others, this is my 'net home. A membership fee would not deter me in any way. I like the idea of an annual fund drive but don't know if it will work.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

I agree with all the above.
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• jethro
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Newark, DE, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Pappy

Sam, like many others, this is my 'net home.
              Couldn't have said it better myself. Sam, as the father of young boys myself, I just can't imagine how you find the time to do all you do to keep this site running so smoothly. I'm sure glad to hear (and I'm sure Adele is, too) that you're not bringing the server in-house; you'd pay dearly for the $ savings, if any, with your valuable time. Keep up the good work!

--------------------
              jethro.
              <font size=\"1\">Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. -- <i>Heinlein</i>
              http://www.jeffriegner.com</font id=\"size1\">

Comment

• gugie
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Redwood City, CA, USA.
                • BT3000

Just waiting to find out the cost of being a Platinum Patron. I'm even working on a method of funding my contribution: I'm one of those guys that throws all my daily change into a big glass jar. It's almost full, and needs emptying.

Comment

• Tamarack
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2003
                  • Speedwell, TN USA
                  • BT3100

This site is a regular breath of fresh air and (in)sanity for me, I will contribute to keep it available. I always feel refreshed and uplifted by my visits here, a thing to be cherished in these hectic times.

Paul

Comment

• Woodnut
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Modesto, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

Bravo! Sam, I love the list above, and it can only get better from here!

This is almost like being addicted to a really prolific author, just wait a little and the next new thing is available...
                    Woodnut
                    "I should know better, but where's the fun in that?!"

Comment

• Rslaugh
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                      • Ridgid

right behind you bossdude

Rick
                      Rick
                      IG: @rslaugh_photography
                      A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
                      And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
                      ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• BillW
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Grapevine, TX, USA.

Sam,

As with any fund drive, you will need volunteers. Answer the phones, bring the donuts, etc.. Seriously, you commit alot of your time to this. IF you need ANY help in pursuing sponsorships, please let us help. There is no need for you to put in major time researching contact names & addresses, writing letters, etc... This can all be done by any of us. I would understand if you would like to send the letters yourself, but as any good executive would, delegate. I would be glad to write the draft for you and rejigger it per your direction. Rewriting and editing is alot easier than staring at that intimidating blank screen. You have all this manpower at your disposal Sam, let us help.
                        That's just my opinion, I could be wrong,

~Bill
                        I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous!

Comment

• Rslaugh
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Red Lion, PA, USA.
                          • Ridgid

Love the Progress Bar across the top Sam. It's jumped $130 in the few minutes I've been on the forum. Is it driven automaticaly or do you manually move it?

Rick
                          IG: @rslaugh_photography
                          A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
                          And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
                          ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• Sam Conder
                            Woodworker Once More
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Midway, KY
                            • Delta 36-725T2

quote:Originally posted by Rslaugh

Love the Progress Bar across the top Sam. It's jumped $130 in the few minutes I've been on the forum. Is it driven automaticaly or do you manually move it?

It's manual, and devilishly simple. If you're familiar with HTML, check it out. When I stumbled across another site doing the same thing, I slapped my forehead and said, "Of course!!! THAT'S how you do a progress bar!!!
                            Sam Conder
                            BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

I just noticed it. I like it!
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...