• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Mudder - I agree - almost as though a step has been removed from the sending of the panels.
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

quote:Originally posted by RodKirby

Mudder - I agree - almost as though a step has been removed from the sending of the panels.
      Yep, definitely seems to load quicker now. Well done, Sam - whatever it was you did, write it down!

Ray
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Sam Conder
        Woodworker Once More
        • Dec 2002
        • Midway, KY
        • Delta 36-725T2

Thanks to a little prodding from ElRay, I am moving towards more HTML 4.01 compliance. Part of that for me is to stop using tables for my portion of the site and to rely on CSS for formatting. I can't get rid of the tables in Snitz, and I probably will never get it to be 100% HTML 4.01 compliant. The upside to this is that the site should be much faster and cleaner for those of us with generation 6+ browsers, but absolute **** for those using anything below that.

It is a "business decision" that I have been forced to make, even though the consequences will no doubt bother some diehard Netscape 4.x users. But, I am not talented enough nor do I have the time to make it compatible with all.

Over the next few weeks I will be re-writing the entire site, page by page, until my code is all compliant. After that I will do what I can to make Snitz more compliant.
        Sam Conder
        BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Ehrnam45
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2003
          • Grand Rapids, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

Sam- what's the benefit of using css over tables? I'm an old school HTML hard coder with just enough java and javascript to be dangerous. CSS was just being implemented around the time I lost interest in writing web pages, so I didn't pursue it. I'm assuming that you're using layers alongside the css...? My take on not using it was that back then some (most) browsers had different standards for css and the extra code involved was a performance hit for slower dial-up connections (circa 32k and 56k modems). Broadband has all but made that a moot point I guess.

Anyway, just curious about the trend shift since I'm out of the loop.

Big Rog
          Big Rog

Comment

• Sam Conder
            Woodworker Once More
            • Dec 2002
            • Midway, KY
            • Delta 36-725T2

For me, it's to get a consistant layout. Netscape and Microsoft can't seem to agree on how to handle the table tags. Newer browsers like Mac's Safari and Mozilla's Firebird are VERY HTML 4.01 compliant. If you have <TD> tags one way it will be "right" in IE, but wrong in Netscape and vice versa.

Also, Snitz, the software that I use for the forum, is very "table-centric". This makes it VERY hard to include my own dynamic convent (via virtual includes) into the forum since my table tags interfere with theirs.

From all that I've read, CSS is just the best way to stay in compliance. Accessibility and cross-browser compatability is getting more and more important. I just want to do what I can to ensure BT3Central.com is usable to as many as possible.
            Sam Conder
            BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...