• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jethro
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Newark, DE, USA.

Favorite woodworking magazine

Well, the recent Coffee Pot thread got me thinking I should start subscribing rather than hitting up the library for old, torn issues of woodworking magazines. What would you say are your favorites? In particular, which ones really have practical, useful information on projects, jigs, techniques, etc.? Hopefully your thoughts will be helpful to anyone on the forum that's making these same choices.

The poll is limited to six titles, so if I missed your favorite, please post below. Thanks!

--------------------
    jethro.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig. --Heinlein

--------------------
    jethro.
    <font size=\"1\">Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. -- <i>Heinlein</i>
    http://www.jeffriegner.com</font id=\"size1\">
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

No secret on how I voted! I tried to vote for two but could not. I also like Woodworking Journal and American Woodworker.

Hank
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I voted for PW on the basis of the last issue. They better not let me down. [8D]

Lee
      http://www.leestyron.com
      Lee

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

FWW is tops in my book, err list. I do not subscribe to any but look at the mag rack while grocery shopping. If I find one with some articles that catch my attention I buy a copy. All of the mags have good things in them from time to time so IMHO if you do subscribe to just one be sure to occasionally look at some others, you might miss something that will really help you out. At times in the past I have subscribed to Wood, Shopnotes, Woodsmith, and Popular Woodworking. I have also bought lots of copies of American Woodworker.
        Fine Wood Working is the only one that I have used an article directly in several projects. Picture below:

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©
        My Site
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• hermit
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Somerset, PA, USA.

I think American Woodworker should be included. I subscribe to that and WOOD, and I think I have learned more basic techniques and hints from AW. I think it is really a good choice for a beginner.

Todd

Comment

• quacked
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2003
            • Galt, Ca, USA.

I subscribe to Wood and Fine Woodworking. I spend a couple of nights on the road for work each month, and I like to go to Barnes and Noble have a coffee and read all of the other woodworking rags. If there's a plan or something I have to reference I'll buy it. But it's a nice quiet way to spend an evening instead of sitting in a hotel room!

"Life is like a box of chocolates... You never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump
            \"Life is like a box of chocolates... You never know what you\'re gonna get.\" Forrest Gump

Comment

• jethro
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Newark, DE, USA.

quote:Originally posted by quacked

I subscribe to Wood and Fine Woodworking. I spend a couple of nights on the road for work each month, and I like to go to Barnes and Noble have a coffee and read all of the other woodworking rags. If there's a plan or something I have to reference I'll buy it. But it's a nice quiet way to spend an evening instead of sitting in a hotel room!

"Life is like a box of chocolates... You never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump
              I hadn't thought of the B&N or Borders perusal route ... good call.

--------------------
              jethro.
              Never attempt to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig. --Heinlein

--------------------
              jethro.
              <font size=\"1\">Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. -- <i>Heinlein</i>

Comment

• jethro
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Newark, DE, USA.

Thanks to everybody who voted!

--------------------
                jethro.

--------------------
                jethro.

Comment

• JANBTU
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Bolingbrook, IL, USA.

You left out American Woodworker... also a very nice magazine. For home improvement ideas... "The Family Handyman" is the king and beats out "Home" and "This Old House."

Rob Pettey
                  Aspiring Woodworker

There is no heavier a burden than a great potential!
                  Rob Pettey
                  \"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don\'t.\"

Comment

• pnctar
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Arlington, TX, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Favorite is American Woodworker ...

Steve
                    Shadow box?! and you want it when?
                    Steve
                    There are no mistakes in woodworking, only opportunities to reevaluate the design! - Jim Tolpin

Comment

• RainShadow
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Oceanside, CA, USA.

SHOPNOTES, POLULAR WOODWORKING, FINE WOODWORKING, WOOD, WOODWORKING JOURNAL/AMERICAN WOODWORKER,

Later, Randy from Oceanside

Comment

Working...