• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mfszy
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2003
    • Wentzville, MO, USA.

Chat Room Problems

Last night I had problems while in the chat room. It seems that people could see what I was "saying", but I couldn't see what anyone else was saying. Then I would get a huge amount of conversation dumped to my screen at once.

I recently installed a Linksys Wireless Broadband Router which came with Norton Internet Security. I think that one of these (most like Norton) is the culprit, but I don't know what to do to fix it, except maybe to disable it before going in the chat room.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I would really appreciate the help.

FYI -- I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. My 'puter is a Pentium 4 1.7 GHz with 256 MB of RAM.

Mike
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    Mike
    \"Indecision may or may not be my problem\"
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Mike. I have nearly the same setup, but I don't use Norton. I actually don't use any anti-virus. I do use Mailwasher though. It helps. I never even download mail from the server unless I know who it is. I also run Spy Ware often.
    I was having problems a couple weeks ago with the Chat here too.
    What I did is I used the "System Restore" in XP to set the OS to a time before it started messing up. This is a cool feature. Go to help and it will give you the instructions for this.

It worked fine after that. What I have decided caused the problem for me was in my browser settings. Something about the way I fiddled with the java stuff and install on demand. I haven't tried it again to see just what it was, butchat for me just wasn't loading in. It may be a Norton setting for you or something. This really isn't my area though. [8D] HTH.

Lee
    http://www.leestyron.com
    Lee

Comment

• meika123
      • Dec 2002
      • Advance, NC, USA.
      • BT3000

Mike,
      Considering all the "STUFF" that goes on in the Chat Room, are you 100% sure you want to get it fixed? [:0] [:I]

Dave in NC

Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• jethro
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Newark, DE, USA.

quote:Originally posted by meika123

Mike,
        Considering all the "STUFF" that goes on in the Chat Room, are you 100% sure you want to get it fixed? [:0] [:I]

Dave in NC

How would you know, Dave? You're not there, man! [8D]

--------------------
        jethro.
        Never attempt to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig. --Heinlein

--------------------
        jethro.
        <font size=\"1\">Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. -- <i>Heinlein</i>
        http://www.jeffriegner.com</font id=\"size1\">

Comment

• mfszy
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2003
          • Wentzville, MO, USA.

Regardless of all the STUFF that goes on in the chat room, I still want to get it fixed. Where else can you *makefun* and be *evil* all at the same time and not get in trouble (or at least too much). Besides, where else could you find out 1001 uses for Lexan (which is a brand name not a product)!!

Mike
          "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
          Mike
          \"Indecision may or may not be my problem\"

Comment

• Jeff
            • Jan 2003
            • Beaumont, CA, USA.
            • BT6000

quote:Originally posted by meika123

Mike,

Dave in NC

Heh, Dave said " [:0] [:I] "

Jeff in Ontario
            http://t-nuts.com/bt3c
            Chromosomes: Monkeys, 44. Humans, 46. Sweet potato, 48. Przewalski's Horse, 66. Forest fern, 144.
            Evolution? Yeah right.
            Jeff in Beaumont, the OLD T-Nuts guy

Chromosomes: Monkeys, 44. Humans, 46. Sweet potato, 48. Przewalski's Horse, 66. Forest fern, 144.
            Evolution? Yeah right.

Comment

Working...