Clear All
  • gugie
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Redwood City, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Posting of pics to your server?

Sam,

The "how to post a pic" topic comes up at least once a week. How about allowing users a certain amount of file space fo posting pics on your server? That would make this forum even more user-friendly.

I know that there would be several issues to work out, but it might be worthwhile. Those that have alternative means to posting pictures would probably continue to do so (myself included).

Something to consider?
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

I just don't have that kind of disk space. Currently my hosting plan gives me 500mb of disk space. The PDFs take up almost 100mb and the forum database is already almost 100mb and growing. One month's worth of server logs usually require 150mb to 200mb of space, and for liability reasons and tracking reasons I need to keep the logging on.

I'd love to be able to host pics, I just don't have the disk space.

Sam Conder
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Mad Marks' site, imagestation, tripod, there are numerous sites that allow this. Bill

If You can't be good for nothing, do it for free!
      5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

My humble recomendation is for posters to contact their ISP's about included webspace. Mine gives me 5mb included withaccess, $10/ mo for each additional 5mb. If the ISP does not offer such a service you might try other ISP's. Mine sells 5mb for any use for $10/mo. The benefit here is that your pics will most likely not disappear over night as what happened to Rod Kirby's picture hosting site (he was a customer, not an owner) a couple of years ago, if you choose a host that is a phone company/ISP. Phone companies do not go out of business per say they just change names and ownership. The problem with Sony's Imagestation is that your pics are here today and not viewable by others tomorrow. If you go to Ryobi's forum and look through the archives you will find a bunch of posts without pics. This lead me to use ISP provided space and then grew into my very own little site, which by the way is pushing 10mb.

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©
        My Site
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Ikeb
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Black wallnut
          This lead me to use ISP provided space and then grew into my very own little site, which by the way is pushing 10mb.
          It doesn't take many pictures to be pushing the 10MB limit. [xx(]

Ike
          You can never have enough clamps
          Ike
          You can never have enough clamps

Comment

Working...