Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

HTML tags

Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Lets say I'm reviewing my message I just typed and I want to BOLD and ITALICIZE some words.

I select/highlight the word and then click on the B or I in the format header above. The editor always puts the HTML tags at the [u]end</u> of the document, not "around" where its highlighted.

Is that how its supposed to work? Wouldn't it seem a lot more intuitive and useful if it put the open and close tags around the [u]highlighted</u> text???

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Flores
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Fort Worth, Texas, USA.

The way you suggested would be more intuitive, but that isn't how it works. You're supposed to have your crystal ball ready and know ahead of time when you're going to bold or italicize a word and click the B or I first, then type your words inside the tags.
    Of course you've already know the cut-and-paste route.

Flores
    Flores

Comment

• Ikeb
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Flores

The way you suggested would be more intuitive, <s>but that isn't how it works</s>. You're supposed to have your crystal ball ready and know ahead of time when you're going to bold or italicize a word and click the B or I first, then [u]type your words inside the tags</u>.
      Of course you've already know the cut-and-paste route.

Flores
      Selecting text and using the buttons to encapsulate with the tags works just fine for me. (For example, that's how I highlighted some of your text I quoted.) Perhaps there's a Windows or browser setting that controls how tags get inserted into the edit window[?]
      Ike
      You can never have enough clamps

Comment

• Thumbsmasher

I'm really stumped on posting pics. I'd like to add some pics of my first projects etc. Can someone give me some advise on what to do to post pics?
        Thanx,
        TS

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Comment

• Flores
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002

Ikeb, you're a got-dang genious! I have been going the long route this whole time.

Sam,
          "How to post pictures" really ought to be in the "Forum Help" link because this gets asked quite a bit.

Flores
          Flores

Comment

• AttilatheHun
            • Dec 2002
            • Farnham, Surrey, United Kingdom.

quote:Originally posted by FloresSam,
            "How to post pictures" really ought to be in the "Forum Help" link because this gets asked quite a bit.
            It's in the FAQ, but at the bottom of "How to format text with Bold, Italic, Quote, etc...", not in "How can I use smilies and images?" where you might expect it to be - that FAQ only mentions 'smilies'.

AtH
            This looks complicated, better get a bigger hammer

Comment

• AttilatheHun
              • Dec 2002

[quote]Originally posted by IkebSelecting text and using the buttons to encapsulate with the tags works just fine for me. .../quote]
              Works for me too - AtH

Comment

• Flores
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002

[quote]quote:Originally posted by AttilatheHun

Originally posted by IkebSelecting text and using the buttons to encapsulate with the tags works just fine for me. .../quote]
                Works for me too - AtH
                Hey Attila, GO TO SLEEP!

Flores
                Flores

Comment

• aleuni
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Miami, FL, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Thumbsmasher

I'm really stumped on posting pics. I'd like to add some pics of my first projects etc. Can someone give me some advise on what to do to post pics?
                  Thanx,
                  TS

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
                  Thumbsmasher
                  I was there look the post that enlightened me

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=178

Once you understand one of these icons you have understood them all

Alex
                  "If you want something done RIGHT you have to do it yourself
                  and if you want it NOW you have to do it by yourself." -me

Miami, Florida USA
                  Alex
                  \"No Idea is a good idea until it is your idea\" -me

http://community.webshots.com/user/aleuni

Comment

• AttilatheHun
                    • Dec 2002

quote:Originally posted by FloresHey Attila, GO TO SLEEP! ...
                    Flores - remember, I'm in the UK. We work on Greenwich Mean Time (also known as Universal Time, and to the military : 'Zulu') - AtH

Comment

• Ikeb
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Thumbsmasher

As Attila points out, this info is in the FAQ but without an example the process may not be obvious. To see an example, select the [u]Reply with Quote</u> icon above a message which has one or more images. The edit window shows all forum code for the message including the image link along with the encapsulating [ img] [ /img] tags. When you've seen all there is to see (and there's not much to it once you have it) just back out of the edit window and proceed to whereever you want to post your own message.
                      Ike
                      You can never have enough clamps

Comment

Working...