• Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Router shut off/on foot switch

I am seriously thinking about buying one of these for when I use my router free hand and was hoping to get some different choices other then the one Woodcrafters sells. Theirs seems ok but I don't like the housing that covers it. I realize there is a reason for it but it seems like it would be more difficult to locate and be able to step on it if you wanted to shut the router down quick. It's the Lectricair foot switch that sells for $29.00. Anybody know of another one out there? Sure would like to see what's available but this is the only one I have been able to find so far. Any help would be appreciated.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

quote:The unique pneumatic design uses displaced air to safely switch electricity on and off; isolating you from any possible electrical contact and eliminating the concern of electrical cords that lay directly on the floor of the shop
    I had to chuckle at this line (the emphesized part). It eliminates all the other drop cords and vacuum hoses I have laying around my "shop"? Cool! Or wait, maybe it just eliminates my concern of them [)].

Lets put it this way -- a little wire to a foot pedal would be the least of my concerns. The pneumatic design seems a bit overkill to me.

-Tim

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

in the electric models you have a choice of Momentary on (where you keep you foot on it as long as you want it to run, stops when you remove foot,

or

on-off where you stepp on it to turn it on and step on it again when you want to turn if off.

Seems like for safety you want momentary operation. But I think its a littl hard to keep balance and work on tools if one foot is anchored in place.

I'd forget the air switch. Too complicated. What's another wire?

I didn't find foot switches too great.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Loring beat me to exactly what I was going to say: a momentary switch is going to provide the greatest theoretical safety but you'll be pretty much limited to staying in one place.

Conversely, if you're moving around any at all, by the time your foot locates a foot-operated kill switch, with or without a cover, it's likely to be too late.

Which leads me to wonder ... what sort of hand-held routing operation will you be doing that makes you want a foot switch? If you're doing something that makes you feel like you need to shut off the router RIGHT NOW, you might consider getting a router with a power switch located right under your thumb or finger when the tool is held normally.
        Larry

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I'm trying to imagine using a router with one foot on a switch — sounds kind of off ballance to me. And the step-on step-off type would leave me fumbling around trying to figure out where I'd kicked the switch.
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• lcm1947
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Austin, Texas
            • BT 3100-1

You guys brought up good points, thanks. Well it sounded like a good idea to me - well that's before these answers which is part of the reason why I asked the question. I was hoping to get some other thoughts. As to why I was thinking about it is I have a PC #930 and my hands are rather small so in order to reach the switch I have to release a firm grip on the left handle which seems somewhat unsafe. Being new to ever having used a router before I am just trying to eliminate any problems. I go overboard sometimes on my own and that's why having this forum to bounce things off you guys really is great. I bet I've saved tons of money not to mention a bunch of unnessary junk in the shop because of you all. As always appreciate the fed back and advice.
            May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

Working...