• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Starting up the shop projects again.

A bit over a year ago I was making steady progress on my shop projects, getting my shop where I wanted it to be, and then I got hit with major changes in life. And I kind of dropped off.

Well in the interim I have been on the mend, and getting things set up kind of in the shop.

As a reminder the following equipment changes have taken place.

- A Wen low speed sharpening system, Tormek clone and associated jigs replaces the Ryobi 8" bench grinder and Wolverine jig system.
    - My Sunhill 6" bench top jointer was replaced with a MUCH higher quality Wahuda 10" bench top jointer. Still need to build a new flip top stand for this and my 13" lunchbox planer. The Sunhill needs to find a new home.
    - My Harbor Freight 12" sliding compound miter saw was replaced by a Metabo HPT 12" double bevel front slider. The Diablo 12" 80T blade was sharpened up and swapped onto the Metabo, the Metabo OEM blade on the HF saw and the saw was gifted to a friend.
    - My Northern Industrial 16 speed 13" floor model drill press was replaced by a Bilt Hard 12" digital VS bench top drill press. Aside from the belt shroud this DP appears to be the same machine as the old Ryobi 12" variable speed DP121L that I missed on clearance when I go the Northern Industrial...
    - Benchtop drill press mounted on a Husky 4 drawer tool cabinet with maple top to stiffen it up. So now I have drilling machines and accessories all in one place yay me!
    - A Grizzly G0458Z 18" open end VS drum sander was added.
    - A Craftsman 52" tool cabinet and chest replaced my 27" Craftsman 9 drawer tool cabinet and Stanley Proto chest for automotive and woodworking small tools.

This leaves me with the not small list of things that need to be updated / modified to work with my newer tools, and get the old ones gone.

- The Ryobi grinder is staying put, just going to be moved somehwere TBD. The Wolverine jig and Varigrind will be put up for sale somewhat soon, once I get the hang of using the Wen and its accessories. The sharpening station the Ryobi lives on will get scooted next to my Craftsman tool cabinet.
    - The Dust shroud on my miter saw stand needs serious modification as the Metabo slide mecahnism and saw haead are MUCH larger than the HF unit, Basically scrap the existing dust shroud and make a new one. You folks have given me great ideas on what to do...
    - The existing flip top stand for the jointer and planer to be replaced by a new one sized to fit the Wahuda jointer. Still going to be using the Hunter green paint, I lkind of like it. This will be stored in the nook the old Craftsman 27" tool box used to live in.
    - I need to design and build a proper sharpening station cabinet for the Wen to hold it up, level it up and keep its accessories organized. If you guessed I was going to paint it hunter green, you guessed right.
    - Get the Northern Industrial drill press gone. Once the sun goes down today I am going to strip the mobile base off of it clean it up a little bit, and find a place to stash it.
    - Weather is cooling off, time soon to order and install a mini split heat pump into the garage / workshop. Once that is done, Remove the portable unit, remove the vents through and repair the siding where the vent holes were... Fill the void with insulation and close off the drywall...
    - Once the Grizzly mobile base and extensions for the sander are delivered, the extensions are back ordered yay... but once delivered, assemble mobile base and sander to mobile base.
    - Continue moving non shop storage stuff into the shed in the back yard.
    - Old Cratsman 27" cabinet and Proto chest moved into the shed. This can house various household plumbing, and lawn and garden bits and bobs...
    - Replace 4" reduced run to full 5" going to miter saw station. I have the pieces just need to do it...

Of course there is a tremendous amount of cleanup and just clean out / removal of stuff that does not need to be in my possession any more. So yeah, I have a LOT of work to do, and at some point, I need to start making a final thickness 3/4" butcher block for camper van counter tops, and preparing for a full rebuild of the van interior with new custom built cabinets... This is going to be a fun project!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

So it was 97 deg F today, and I got the old floor model drill press gone. I was doing work moving stuff to the shed yesterday as well, and it was in the upper 90s, which left me feeling like cow patties. Talked to the after hours nurse at the practice I am getting my care done by, and apparently a small percentage of people with colitis, IF they are heat sensitive to begin with, it kind of rams it up to 100 as it were, well guess who has been hypersensitive to heat his entire life? And who is dumb enough to live in Texas to boot!. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Texas, I just hate the heat and humidity...

Basically limit outdoor work severely until it is 90 deg or below... Well that doesn't help me get things done...

So next few items on the agenda.

- Take all nuts, bolts, and brackets for the old winch mount brush guard and double bag them.
    - Touch up paint the winch mount brush guard. Let it cure.
    - Tape the hardware bag to one of the headlight hoops.
    - Move that stuff onto the shelving unit in the shed.
    - Reassemble the 9 drawer Craftsman tool cabinet, roll it out to the shed.
    - Move the Stanley Proto tool chest to the shed, park it in place on the Craftsman cabinet.
    - Move all plumbing hand tools to the Stanley Proto tool chest. Pipe wrenches, flare tools, tubing cutters, basin wrenches etc... I have a freakish amount of this stuff. I worked a hardware store that when they closed down, the surplus tools that were in the major departments for store use, got sent home with me by the owner... I divided the spoils up with the 2 remaining coworkers and still had way too much stuff.
    - Move the spare plumbing pieces parts to the Craftsman tool cabinet. This includes surplus air system parts, PVC fittings, spare toilet lines, flanges, anything I need to fix whatever I need in the house. I have no idea how 3/4 of this stuff got here, but it is here, and I am not going to let it go to waste...
    - Pull apart the now orphaned Harbor Freight mobile base that was holding the drill press off the ground. Package the bits and box of that away and stow in one of my tool chest drawers that is unused presently.
    - Purge out any and all projects I am never going to do out of my shop. I have a LOT of them sucking up valuable space that are things other people wanted me to do, and I would happily have done the ones for my wife, but she is no longer here... So pretty sure she won't mind if I just pitch that flower pot instead of repainting it and painting a cool pattern on it... :-P
    - Sort, put automotive parts and supplies in totes that will fit the storage racks in the shed. Mark the totes and get that stuff out there.
    - Anything that after careful consideration I can't identify, or I identify and don't want it either goes in the trash or to the recyclers...
    - At some point get up off my tailbone and finish replacing the gasket on the dust collector and install a new bag.

At this point the shop should be clean enough to do some actual organizing.

-Move the Ryobi bench grinder / stand, floor jack, and jack stands over by the tool chest.
    - Close up siding holes that were for the ducts for the portable unit. The portable won't last another season, and it never really did the job to my satisfaction. I will install a Mini split over the winter.
    - Assemble the drum sander and mobile base as soon as the Mobile Base and extensions arrive from Grizzly.

I need to build a new flip top stand for the new Jointer and my old Ryobi planer, as well as a sharpening station for the Wen sharpener and its associated jigs. The new flip top stand goes where the old tool box used to live by the dust collector. The sharpening station will be where the Ryobi is now.

Once i get it resembling clean and organized, maybe, just maybe (yeah right) I will try to keep it that way!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

So the old 9 drawer tool cabinet, and the Stanley Proto tool chest and cleaned up, the cabinet is paint touched up, the Proto is pretty rough, and they are moved out to the shed. Paint is curing in the drawers on the cabinet... I need to figure out the Proto cabinet. It honestly needs a LOT of degreaser and likely media blasting, but it has decals and items like that I do not want damaged, so probably not going to happen, so I cleaned out the inside as best I could and back to use it goes...

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

My SECOND order of the weathersripping to use to seal up the ring to bag seal on my dust collector came in. I have a teleconference in a few minutes, A bit more work a day work, and then out to the shop to replace the gasket...

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

The Grizzly Bear Crawl mobile base for the sander arrived, unfortunately I also need the extension bars that are extra pieces and back ordered. So once we get the back order cleared, I can go ahead and get my mobile base, and my sander assembled and in place. About to change clothes and go out to continue moving stuff from the shop to the shed, and from the shop to the trash bin if it deserves to be there... I have GOT to make progress! I am so far behind and honestly need to make progress for my own sanity sake.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

And your daily dose of what is Dave doing in the shop is here for Wednesday!

It went from being obscenely hot, to hot and humid. Not sure it is an improvement. I managed to get the new undermount sink that will go in my kitchen during that remodel, as well as the faucet and disposal moved out to the shef to kind of stage it out there. I need the space on top of the racks, but the bedrug for my truck is out there still in its box. I will stage that in my spare bedroom closet, it is clean and just a hunk of synthetic padded carpet after all.

I have the tool cabinet and chest in the shed locked as I have not unlocked it since I rolled it in, didn't want drawers opening while I moved it. So my boxes of bits and bobs are more or less still in the shop.

I cleared out the space for the old Ryobi and its stand to move to. I have a freakish amount of nuts and bolts on the stand for some I don't recall reason, and need to clear it off before I can move it over.

And I got an unexpected promotional package from Grizzly today, They sent a sample 1/4" cobalt split point drill bit. I don't need it, and it is just clutter to me now. In the box of stuff to jettison it goes. A friend of mine has been collecting up my surplus bits and making sets out of them for friends kids that are starting out in the trades. So my spare bits are going there...Except for the smaller Ryobi Speed Load bits that I keep doing stupid things to, those stay with me... I tend to break pretty much any size under 1/8" pretty frequently...

Mentioned elsewhere, I got the bag on my dust collector. Giving some thought to adding a Super Dust Deputy 4/5 which has a 5" inlet and 6" outlet, I am happy with my DC with the 5" ducting, it really does work well, but that bag fills up freakishly fast without a separator or some sort, and the Thien just takes too much of a CFM hit.

Other than that, just a lot of little pick this thing up and put it back where it belongs. The various pliers all over the place back to their drawer, Vacuumed off the drill press cabinet and will shoot a video of it soon.

That is kind of it. I have more to do tomorrow, but it will likely be just an obnoxious amount of little stuff, the big thing I am aiming for is striping down the now unused HF mobile base.

The wide spreaders for the Grizzly Bear Crawl mobile base are back ordered until Late October, so that and the sander are going to have to wait.I need to purge some floor space so I can slide the sander over. Might assemble it just to get it up off the floor and get the box gone. It came on a small pallet. Get it off the pallet and use my pallet breaker to reclaim the lumber soon too...

So many things to do, and only one of me...

*sigh*

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I have a sneaking suspicion that I am going to get an official zilch done for the shop today. Oh well...

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Itching for the end of the work day to start my shop projects. Weather is improving somewhat, and stuff needs to get done...

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Okay so the heat is down, the humidity is WAY up... I got SOME stuff done, Ryobi bench grinder / stand moved next to the tool cabinet.
                  One trash can full of orphaned project bits and pieces filled.
                  The HF mobile base that was on my old drill press is now disassembled and needing to be fully cleaned up, sanded, primed, and painted.
                  Packing up loose nuts, bolts and washers.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

My trash cans runneth over, but to paraphrase the Carpenters, we've only just begun!

I have no idea why a Carpenters song was in my head, but it was...

And as a reminder, I have a Bear Crawl (Grizzly) mobile base for the sander, but it needs extension bars that, well are back ordered for 3 more weeks... AND I have the HF mobile base disassembled back to, well nothingness. I need to either chase some threads, or replace some bolts, most likely the latter. The threads on the bolts themselves are a bit boogered, and I CAN chase them, but combined with some ugly rust on them, why? Nope, off to Home Depot I go for fresh hardware!

But then again, if I have the Grizzly base, what do I need the HF base for? Other than maybe make my BT3100 and wide table kit mobile. If I am going to do that, I am going to grab some 1.25" square steel tube so that I don't get any bowing across the length as it IS a good long way...

Oh well, stash that idea for later...

Oh well,more effort tomorrow, my effort tank ran out for today with the cleanup / trash removal, I have so much more to go to boot!

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I should be able to get at least SOMETHING done tomorrow, like roll the drill press and cabinet into place after sweeping up that hunk o floor, and get more car parts gone... But I have so much that needs to get done. I have barely made a dent. But at least a number of the orphaned projects are gone now...

I think once I get the winch mount / brush guard put away in the shed, and honestly, Relocate a bunch of paint and primer that needs to get out of the shop, I should have a nice clear space aside from the shop equipment in front of the overhead door, along the wall behind the lathe and approaching the table saw... Getting there...

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Okay so I got my area the drill press is supposed to live in. You can see how the benchtop drill press is mounted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DrillPressOnCabinet.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	856361

The portable AC you see right behind it is on its way out the door, I will be adding a mini split heat pump instead of the propane heater and portable AC... Way too many years too long on that. The sander will get parked over where the AC is... And my cutoffs can, no clue what I am going to do with it...

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Not sure why but I have been pushing crud out of the house into the shop on my own. I spent some quality time out there with trash bags. 3 of the large contractor bags are now full of stuff like cardboard, empty bags, old automobile light bulbs, pull off hoses, belts, you name it if it should have been thrown out, for some reason it wasn't, well the bags are full, or mostly full, and being stuffed in the trash cans for pickup on Monday... And our Recycling center is not recycling now, apparently there was a fire so all the cardboard is just going to to to the trash... Pity....

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Drilled and filled my camper cabinet hinge mount screw holes today, waiting for the glue to dry... Spent quality time in the shop just cleaning a little bit at a time. Having some back issues today and really didn't feel like doing anything... I think I am going to soak in the hot tub at the gym tomorrow if possible...

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Spent more time working on the van cabinets. Pantry door is reinstalled, now I found the roller striker screws couldn't tighten enough to keep it from flopping around. Drilled and filled there too. Didn't even begin to care that I through drilled the door. Oops... Letting the glue dry will cut off excess dowel tomorrow and re-mount the striker and adjust it tomorrow. Maybe the door will actually want to stay closed after this...

Spent an abnormal amount of time just piddling around the shop and organizing, including organizing more stuff into trash bags... Took the plastic bag off the Grizzly sander and dug the manual out of from on top of the platen, I should seriously consider reading those instructions and getting it assembled somewhat soon-ish...

Not wood shop related, but I got the original dingy yellowed headlights on the camper swapped out for new ones with some LED bulbs.

Comment

Working...