• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Now the fun begins

Today a crew of five men and women delivered everything we had in storage for nearly the past 5 years.

The items for the shop took over 50% of the crates and probably 75% of the weight. Nothing looks to be damaged except for the handle on the elevation wheel of my TS. I'm not sure if they ever moved tools this heavy before but everyone got lunch and went home with a tip. The guys helped me lift my tools onto their mobile bases. My garage floor is not very flat I've learned.

The electrical cabling and conduit still haven't left the country we just left so I can't wire anything up. If I do need a big tool, I may do something temporary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220805_202239260~2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	851948
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together.
    The not so level floor just gives the place character, and what is a shop without a few home made power cords dangling around?
    What you trying to do? Build a shop better than Rob Kirby’s?

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Present day Paul is questioning Younger Paul's decisions. Why didn't the ShopVac wheels and accessories get packed inside like the hose did? Oh, it must be in one of those boxes labeled "Tools"

Comment

• Dedpedal
        Established Member
        • Feb 2020
        • Palm Coast Florida
        • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

I sold most of my tools before moving. I’ve been in the new house for 2.5 years and still making changes for room or ease of working.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Dedpedal
          I sold most of my tools before moving. I’ve been in the new house for 2.5 years and still making changes for room or ease of working.
          Did I get flack from my wife that most of our storage weight was my shop? Yes.

Did that prevent us from buying more stuff overseas? Yes.

​Do I have any regrets? No.

I just quickly looked at the cost of my tools today. I would easily be paying 50% to maybe double what I originally paid for them. I am familiar with how these tools work; I liked them in the first place; I didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

*We didn't pay to store or ship any of our stuff as long as we didn't exceed certain weight limits. If we did, I might have been more discerning with what was kept.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

My parents visited yesterday and my Dad lent me his ratchet set. I finally got my cabinet saw back together. This morning I picked up a 10/3 jacketed cable and ran it directly from a new 30A breaker from the sub to a metal receptacle box. Changed the plug end on my TS to match and the saw is running again!

I know I unpacked the mount for the blade guard a couple weeks ago but I cannot for the life of me find it! I've been through every box in the garage twice now!

Comment

• Stan
              Stan commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice to be setting up the shop again I'll bet, bummer on the uneven floor though.
          • Stan
            • Mar 2004
            • Kalispell, MT, USA.
            • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            My parents visited yesterday and my Dad lent me his ratchet set. I finally got my cabinet saw back together. This morning I picked up a 10/3 jacketed cable and ran it directly from a new 30A breaker from the sub to a metal receptacle box. Changed the plug end on my TS to match and the saw is running again!

I know I unpacked the mount for the blade guard a couple weeks ago but I cannot for the life of me find it! I've been through every box in the garage twice now!
            How goes the setup for all the tools? Have everything up and running yet, or still working on it?
            From the NW corner of Montana.
            http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by atgcpaul

Originally posted by Stan
              How goes the setup for all the tools? Have everything up and running yet, or still working on it?
              It's not good.

I'm still looking for that blade guard mount from over 2 months ago, and since then, I started building a shed and remodeling the house. All of my free time is consumed by that. About 40sqft of the floor is occupied by a stack of OSB sheathing and lumber, and basically the rest of the floor is covered by even more boxes of stuff that were delivered from our last post a month ago. My sister is also moving in a few weeks so I've held onto empty boxes and packing materials for her. This weekend I'm picking up my lawn tractor (which I will temporarily park outside under a tarp until the shed is done), and several long, thick planks of walnut my Dad stored for me. I can at least take the moving boxes to my parents who can then transfer them to my sister at Thanksgiving.

We've been having amazing weather but this weekend the temps go below freezing and the end of DST means there is no daylight to work outside after work. I'm racing the weather, and getting to the harder aspects of the shed so I'm not optimistic I'll finish the shed this year unless I can take some days off work.

Comment

• Stan
                • Mar 2004
                • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                • BT3100, Delta 36-717

I can relate to parts of your struggle. We bought a new place just over a year ago, when we moved my entire shop got packed up into a storage shed we bought for that purpose. Completely filled it with hardly any room to move around inside it, which means finding anything in there is a major outing.

Our weather was exceptional for most of my shop build (started clearing land in late May) and just got it dried in a bit over a week ago.
                Since then there have been multiple delays in getting the insulation and electrical done to finish it up. A big part of that is our weather went downhill as of Wednesday last week - lost power for almost 37 hours, the snow and wind have had people just staying home rather than getting out in it.

I thought I would be able to get the insulation work done, but responses from the insulation guy had me seriously concerned I was getting scammed. (I found out later that was not the case, he just neglected to contact me about things).

Now it looks like insulation won't be able to be done until after the first of the year. Electrical appears to only be delayed but a week or two.

Sure hope you can get your shop up and running sooner than later, know that will be a good thing for ya.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Stan
                  Now it looks like insulation won't be able to be done until after the first of the year. Electrical appears to only be delayed but a week or two.

Sure hope you can get your shop up and running sooner than later, know that will be a good thing for ya.
                  Are you going with spray foam?

Me, too, on getting some semblance of a shop going. I need to build a simple melamine bookshelf for my daughter. Cut pieces to length, rip some to width, and add a rabbet on the back for the panel. I can't even access the TS so I'm about to do it all with my tracksaw with the boards setup on random boxes. The shed has gotten me a lot more proficient with a circular saw so I may just resort to that with lots of blue tape to minimize chip out.

Comment

• Stan
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Yes on spray foam, which is the reason for the delay. Temps have to be above a certain point - along with getting scheduled with the company that does the spraying.

Bummer you cannot get to your TS, but having a tracksaw and the room to use it helps.

Comment

Working...