• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Just a couple of small work supports - lab jack - laboratory lift

I got a couple of these last year. They are adjustable supports meant for use in science labs, These are partly plastic so they only cost $10 each although you can get metal ones for about 3 times as much.

Just a handy thing to make life easier. I used one today to precisely support a cabinet door I had to remove and replace. Supported the door edge and removed the hinge screws. Then replaced. Normally it would take three hands or having to go fabricate a perfect height support.

They are roughly 4" square and have a scissors jack support that can vary the height from about 1.7 inch to over 6 inches high (43 to 155 mm).
    With two of them you can precisely adjust a tilt angle.
    You can support work quickly at very infinitely fine adjustable increments so I got a couple to help me with drill press work and small assembly tasks, They will hold up to 22 pounds.
    If you get one put a drop of oil on the elevating screw to make them turn smoother.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version  Name:	P7190386.JPG Views:	0 Size:	161.7 KB ID:	844682
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-19-2021, 11:30 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

This is great! Something I have always wanted but never knew about! Probably for larger stuff, might need a pair of these.

Is that surface slippery, or some type of matte?

How strong is that plastic? Will it hold up to some bit of clamping? There might be some situations when some type of grip might be good.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Matte smooth. Holds ~20 pounds. You could clamp it but don't exceed clamping force+load more than 20 pounds!
      I would think you could clamp the main body of an item to your workbench, but use this to support a hanging and while you assemble it.
      You can extend the height using some 2x4 or 4x4 blocks.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Matte smooth. Holds ~20 pounds. You could clamp it but don't exceed clamping force+load more than 20 pounds!
        I would think you could clamp the main body of an item to your workbench, but use this to support a hanging and while you assemble it.
        You can extend the height using some 2x4 or 4x4 blocks.
        I sure could have used a couple like those last week when I was installing a 6ft tall privacy fence for my daughter. Sure would have helped with leveling, especially since I was the only one there - having to lift with my hands and insert a board, or two or three under one end of the fence with my foot to level it. Well, for the weight, I would have needed the slightly more expensive aluminum ones or a steel one. That would have been perfect.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yes, absolutely they sell steel and aluminum ones that can carry much more weight for adjusting doors and other items vertically for one-handed installation.

Also bigger like 6x6 and 8x8

Just do an Amazon search for laboratory jack lift
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-23-2021, 10:42 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I used these today to serve as adjustable spacers for the balusters I was repositioning in a fence railing.
            I had 6 balusters and 7 spaces
            The balusters were 1.34" and the distance between vertical supports 26.75"
            That means each of the 7 spaces was 2.673" so I dialed in that height, turned it on its side and used it to space between the balusters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	579.6 KB ID:	852273
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-12-2022, 02:24 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• atgcpaul
              atgcpaul commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea and you saved some wood by not cutting some for a spacer.
          Working...